PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Strange Update-Manager Notice

defensorfedei
March 24th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I recently had to restore my system via clonezilla due to hdd failure. I frequently back up my /etc/apt folder as well as some other configuration files and settings that I use in my system to bring my restored image up to date with my ever changing preferences, etc...

I noticed the problem when I replaced the etc/apt folder with my backup version. After replacing the folder, I ran 'sudo apt-get update' and imported a list of all my previously installed software. Then I ran 'sudo apt-get upgrade'. I didn't get any errors at all during any part of the update and upgrade process.

Then this popped up in my panel, and won't seem to go away.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21875930/ume.png

Anyone have any ideas?

Dutch70
March 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
This is just a hunch, but try going to software sources & make sure the CD-ROM is not checked.

Also, you can try running...

sudo apt-get check
to verify there are no broken dependencies.

sadiqdude
March 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM
even i had the same roblem but later when i restarted my system every thing got right:P:P

defensorfedei
March 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the quick responses.

I did in fact check to see if cd-rom was checked in my software sources list, which it was not. Oddly enough, I had to do this through Synaptic Package Manager, as Software Center won't launch unless I launch it from the terminal (this may be part of the problem).

I also ran 'sudo apt-get check' and everything comes back clean. I have rebooted the system several times since yesterday, but the problem still persists. I am sure it must be something simple.

Thanks for helping.....perhaps someone else will have an idea of what is going on. I am going to try and find out why Software Center won't start.

Thanks

plucky
March 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the quick responses.

I did in fact check to see if cd-rom was checked in my software sources list, which it was not. Oddly enough, I had to do this through Synaptic Package Manager, as Software Center won't launch unless I launch it from the terminal (this may be part of the problem).

I also ran 'sudo apt-get check' and everything comes back clean. I have rebooted the system several times since yesterday, but the problem still persists. I am sure it must be something simple.

Thanks for helping.....perhaps someone else will have an idea of what is going on. I am going to try and find out why Software Center won't start.

Thanks

From a terminal post output of
sudo apt-get update and your sources.list
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

defensorfedei
March 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Plucky,

I went ahead and did a complete reinstall, since I was itching to use the new script I made for the job, so I really can't post the output of those commands since I am no longer using that system.

The not being able to launch gdebi and software center was a deal breaker for me. It seemed like it was going to take too much patch work to straighten everything out.

I assume the moderator will do whatever he/she wants to do with this thread.

Once again, thanks for the responses.