PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows & Ubuntu, dual boot / default time limit?

cjacek
March 24th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I was struggling how to phrase the question (in the subject) so let me clarify... I wish to install Windows 2000 and then do Ubuntu, on the same PC. I never had a dual boot before but I understand that it goes automatically (after a short time) to default Windows if Ubuntu is not chosen (on the boot up screen), correct? If so, if there's a "countdown" of sorts, is there a way to disable it? I wish to have control over that aspect, have unlimited time during that boot "choose one" screen. Thanks!:)

tommcd
March 24th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I understand that it goes automatically (after a short time) to default Windows if Ubuntu is not chosen (on the boot up screen), correct?
When the grub2 menu comes up, if no action is taken, then Ubuntu will boot by default because it is first in the list.

if there's a "countdown" of sorts, is there a way to disable it? I wish to have control over that aspect, have unlimited time during that boot "choose one" screen.
You can do this. You will need to edit the /etc/default/grub file. Scroll down to the GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 line. Change the 10 to -1. This will cause the menu to be displayed until you make a selection.
(The default GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 means that the menu will be displayed for 10 seconds, which is plenty of time to make a selection. You can set it to -1 if you want the menu to be displayed indefinitely until you make a selection though).
After editing the /etc/default/grub file, be sure to run:
sudo update-grub from the terminal so the changes take effect.
See this for reference: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#/etc/default/grub%20%28file%29

cjacek
March 24th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Wow, this is the type of answer I was hoping for! Thank you very, very much!! I will try what you suggest. All the best. :)

Dutch70
March 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I just want to add that if it is set to 10 sec or any other time limit and you hit the down arrow key to choose one. It will stay until you hit "enter" to actually make the selection.

cjacek
March 24th, 2011, 10:45 PM
When the grub2 menu comes up, if no action is taken, then Ubuntu will boot by default because it is first in the list.

Sorry, just to clarify that Ubuntu will still be the default and first on the list even if I install Windows 2000 (first) and then Ubuntu (second, after Windows)? Is this correct? Thanks again. :)

cjacek
March 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I just want to add that if it is set to 10 sec or any other time limit and you hit the down arrow key to choose one. It will stay until you hit "enter" to actually make the selection.

Got it, thanks! :)

tommcd
March 24th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry, just to clarify that Ubuntu will still be the default and first on the list even if I install Windows 2000 (first) and then Ubuntu (second, after Windows)? Is this correct? Thanks again. :)
Yes, because the grub2 boot loader sets it up that way. When you boot the computer you will see Ubuntu listed first in the menu. Windows will be at the bottom of the menu.

cjacek
March 24th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Yes, because the grub2 boot loader sets it up that way. When you boot the computer you will see Ubuntu listed first in the menu. Windows will be at the bottom of the menu.

Great, thanks again! :)