PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot download or update because of internet connection?

brainmurphy1
March 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
I tried to download some software from the Ubuntu software center, and it does not download. It does not give me an error message, it just stays at 0 bytes.
It eventually tells me to check my internet connection. (this does not make sense because I am using it to write this thread) I checked synaptic package manager for correct proxy settings and it was ok. I ran
sudo apt-get update but to no avail. I am using wireless, and recently dissembled the computer to disconnect the CMOS battery, but I think that it was put back together properly.

ajgreeny
March 23rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
What error messages did you get from that command? Can you use a cable ethernet connection to update?

tommcd
March 24th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I checked synaptic package manager for correct proxy settings and it was ok.
If you are behind a proxy, this is likely the source of the problem. Do you have to use a proxy? If not, then do not use a proxy and you will probably be ok. Otherwise, there is likely something wrong with your proxy settings.

Also post the output of:
sudo apt-get-update from the terminal.
And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

agarner98
March 24th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Check your proxy, use a neighbor's connection, or just reset your router/connection. simple as that. i get these issues, too.