PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Epson SX218 scanner not working

lawsos01
March 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Installing all-in-one Epson SX218 on Ubuntu 10.10, printer and copier works fine but cannot get the scanner to work. Simple Scan gives error "Failed to scan. No scanners available. Please connect a scanner"

This model does not show up on compatibility lists I've seen but I'm *sure* I've seen a post describing how to make this work (obviously can't find it now)

thanks in advance.....

Stuart

jonkirton
June 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I found this site, it works for me on Maverick.

http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do#productinfo

I needed to restart after I installed.

EduardoCR
July 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hi. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, and I share the Epson SX218 scanner problem. When I installed Ubuntu and then connected the Epson multi-function via USB, the printer drivers installed very smoothly, no problems whatsoever. But then I realized that the scanner part just wasn't there. The system didn't recognize it. Searching through the help forums, I found your comment, and although it's been a while since it was posted, I've followed your link and browsed through Avasys. To cut a long story short, I've followed every step of the process and still no luck. XSane software still thinks there's no scanner connected. Is there anything I can do to overcome this ? Is there any info you need from my part to assess the situation ?

NilsOscar
October 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I have the exact same problem. "Failed to scan". "No scanners available. Please connect a scanner". I downloaded the iscan-plugin-gt-x820_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb. Was that wrong? I have an Intel 64 bit processor and Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit OS on an Vaio Laptop. I have the Epson V600. scanner

NilsOscar
October 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I don't think this helps anyone, but I did plug in my Epson RX500 (Scanner and printer) and I Managed to scan from it. Bummer because I want to scan 120 (medium format) film, which the RX500 does not handle.

GSD4ME
March 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM
Appended my bit to this thread as I am having the same problem not getting the scanner to work on my Epson SX218.

I followed (a couple) of threads re: this problem and came to a couple of pages:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule

and I selected the "scanner driver" option and clicked "download"

This took me to this page:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02/DriverDownloadInfo.do?LG2=EN&CN2=&DSCMI=21580&DSCCHK=ea245da3525f56d8ca2ab9408ed2d6d8b481d435

So I clicked "accept"
Then I get given a *whole list* of items that I have no idea whether to download some or all of them.

How do I know which file to download so I can get the scanner software?

Many thanks

pdc
March 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
a forum moderator is likely to close this thread very shortly; as it is 18 months old......... the moderators hover overhead.......watching all ..............................

first thing you need is to install the DATA PACKAGE: iscan-data_1.22.0-1_all.deb .....it is at the bottom of the list ...................
...........then..................... if 32bit system, you need iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb and if 64bit you need iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb ...........the ltd7 refers to newer kernels .......

I suggest you download and read userg_revQ_e.pdf as it is a pdf of instructions and is very detailed if you so need it ..............

If you download the data.deb to your Downloads directory and the appropriate ltd7.deb you can install them by right-clicking on each package, and selecting "install with gdebi installer...................."

If you need more advice, you will likely need to start a new thread...................