PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

brsmits
March 23rd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Bought a Sony Vaio P off ebay and am currently trying to install Ubuntu on it.

I downloaded the 32bit desktop edition of 10.10 on my other computer (running 10.04), put in my 8GB flash drive, formatted it as FAT, went to System>>Admin>>Startup Disk Creator, selected my flash drive. It did its thing just fine.

When I boot off the flash drive, it displays the splash of 10.10 for about 30 seconds then shows:

BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

from there it seems to be a bash shell but I can't get it to boot to an installer. I have done a few searches on this and can find no meaningful solution. I am looking to wipe the HDD and install 10.10.

I have also tried this with a download of 10.04, and I get the same thing, I don't know how it could be a hardware issue, but I am a linux newbie.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Any other information needed that would help? Please let me know!

brsmits
March 23rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
I don't know what I did, but after getting a little frustrated, I reformatted the flash drive with the disk utility, then went through the same process and it seems to be installing 10.04 just fine now.

Don't know what I did really.