PDA

View Full Version : Free shell accounts...

samalex
March 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just curious does anyone use a free or even subscription shell accounts/services? If so which one(s) and what features do you look for in such a service?

I personally love Devio.us which has a great community built up around it. Here's a list of others - http://shells.red-pill.eu/

Honestly I've dreamed of running my own free to cheap shell account service for years, but I've never had the cash to get one going.

Johnsie
March 23rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
Interesting. I played around with some shell accounts back in the 90's. How safe is it to host shell accounts? I would assume you have to totally lock down the whole machine?

samalex
March 23rd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Interesting. I played around with some shell accounts back in the 90's. How safe is it to host shell accounts? I would assume you have to totally lock down the whole machine?

It'd be about like any virtual web host that offers SSH or Telnet access into the server though the point of using the box would be for shell access and not hosting websites, though many shell services do offer old-school style web hosting (www.whatever.com/~username). Personally I'd keep some of the key apps, like email, web server, etc separate from the shell accounts just in-case someone runs a bum script that hoses the system.

I think it's kind of a mix between old-school computing on the web which I'm all into...