PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Help? install crashes?

Firestarter0
March 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have tried 2 downloads of Lubuntu, live CD and DVD, and every time the installer crashes. I really want this on my old pc cos even Xubuntu is slow, and I'm more of a fan of Ubuntu stuff than I am of puppy that's currently on it...

please help :(

and does anyone know of a decent distro with kde plasma that will run well on 256RAM and a 1.4 processor? i doubt there is one, but it would be nice lol.

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
If you've got Xubuntu, all you have to do is open synaptic, search for "lubuntu-desktop" mark for installation & apply. Reboot & when you get to the log-in screen, you can choose between Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

If you want to remove Xubuntu afterward, That's only 1 (long) command in the terminal.

sudo apt-get remove a2ps abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview aumix aumix-common browser-plugin-parole catfish elementary-icon-theme exaile exo-utils fortune-mod fortunes-min gdebi gdebi-core gigolo gimp gimp-data gnumeric gnumeric-common gnumeric-doc gtk2-engines-xfce gvfs-bin hal hal-info imagemagick libabiword-2.8 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libbabl-0.0-0 libcdt4 libexo-0.3-0 libexo-common libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgegl-0.0-0 libgimp2.0 libgoffice-0.8-8 libgoffice-0.8-8-common libgraph4 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkmathview0c2a libgvc5 libhal-storage1 libhal1 libilmbase6 libjpeg-progs libjpeg8 liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libmagickcore3-extra libmng1 libnetpbm10 libopenexr6 libotr2 libots0 libpathplan4 libpsiconv6 librecode0 libsexy2 libtagc0 libthunar-vfs-1-2 libwv-1.2-3 libxcb-keysyms1 libxdot4 libxfce4menu-0.1-0 libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common libxfce4util4 libxfcegui4-4 libxfconf-0-2 link-grammar-dictionaries-en mousepad murrine-themes netpbm orage oss-compat parole pidgin pidgin-data pidgin-libnotify pidgin-otr plymouth-theme-xubuntu-logo psutils python-cddb python-mmkeys python-mutagen ristretto smartdimmer tango-icon-theme tango-icon-theme-common thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-data thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-thumbnailers thunar-volman thunderbird ttf-lyx wdiff xchat xchat-common xfburn xfce-keyboard-shortcuts xfce4-appfinder xfce4-clipman xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-power-manager xfce4-power-manager-data xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-terminal xfce4-utils xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-volumed xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfconf xfdesktop4 xfdesktop4-data xfprint4 xfswitch-plugin xfwm4 xfwm4-themes xscreensaver xubuntu-artwork xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-desktop xubuntu-docs xubuntu-gdm-theme xubuntu-icon-theme xubuntu-wallpapers && sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

I actually had to install Xubuntu to an old computer for the same reason. The Xubuntu install was flawless after trying for a week to install Lubuntu. That being said, I do know of people that had the opposite problem.

Firestarter0
March 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
ok, well thanks, ill give it a shot, but do you know how i can install grub for puppy? till i can get hold of my xubuntu disc again. the pc wont boot, me in my newbie stupidity hadnt thought that it needed to be there...... lol

Firestarter0
March 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
ok, doesnt matter, sorted the grub, ill update as soon as ive tried your method and ill mark solved if it works. cheers