PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome 3 Shell - contraindications re noteboook

Bucic
March 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
I prefer Gnome Shell 3 over Unity. Are there any contraindications to switching to the shell when 11.04 comes out given that I use the HP Compaq nx6125 notebook? It "features" the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M chipset that is supported only by opensource ATI drivers, if that matters.

3Miro
March 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I prefer Gnome Shell 3 over Unity. Are there any contraindications to switching to the shell when 11.04 comes out given that I use the HP Compaq nx6125 notebook? It "features" the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M chipset that is supported only by opensource ATI drivers, if that matters.

I suspect Gnome-shell will be in the Software Center, so you should be able to just install 11.04, then get Gnome-shell and use it (logout and then get a different session).

11.04 will also support Gnome Classic mode, which is pretty much exactly like 10.10 (Gnome Classic will not require anything new to be installed).

BTW: it isn't really important, but there is no Gnome Shell 3, there is Gnome 3 and Gnome-shell with is a component of Gnome 3. Unity replaces Gnome-shell with Ubuntu customized version of Compiz. Thus Unity is Gnome.

Bucic
March 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
OK, thanks.