PDA

View Full Version : My music experiment. Internet radio only

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
So a while back, I decided to "go legit". Erased all my pirated music and only kept stuff I had either downloaded legally (lots of indie music stuff, video game music remixes etc) or ripped from CD's I own.

With a recent reformat, I can't be bothered to go through all that again, so I am seeing how long I can go with just listening to stuff online.
There's Pandora of course, and all kinds of streaming stuff (need to spend more time with that, to get some good metal stuff, any recommendations? Need to be streamable through Amarok), and for the odd specific song, odds are you can find it on youtube anyways if you really want.

So far... I dont miss it a ton, I must admit. We'll see how long :)

johntaylor1887
March 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
I use Clementine for all my music needs. It's based on Amarok 1.4 and kicks butt. Comes with SonaFM, Last.FM, Magnatune, Jamendo and Icecast. http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/downloads/list?q=0.7+Release%3DRC

user1397
March 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
have you heard of grooveshark? http://grooveshark.com

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Havent heard of it, but will gladly check it out. Thanks!

johntaylor1887
March 23rd, 2011, 07:50 PM

It's basically like Pandora, Last.FM, etc. Clementine has literally 1000's of stations and with Jamendo, enough to keep you listening for a lifetime.

sixstorm
March 23rd, 2011, 08:11 PM

This is way better than Pandora or Slacker IMO. I also recommend Shoutcast radio stations.

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
okay, so grooveshark is seriously awesome from a quick glance

Johnsie
March 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
I'm gonna check out this Clementine thing, it sounds promising. If anyone's interested there is a really good app with thousands of stations for portable devices called Tune In radio:

http://tunein.com/

Also, keep an eye out for a program called Spotify. It's already in some countries and is supposed to be moving to the US soon. It revolutionised music in the countries it has been released in.

JustinR
March 23rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm gonna check out this Clementine thing, it sounds promising. If anyone's interested there is a really good app with thousands of stations for portable devices called Tune In radio:

Also, keep an eye out for a program called Spotify. It's already in some countries and is supposed to be moving to the US soon. It revolutionised music in the countries it has been released in.

+1 for TuneIn, its by far the most used and appreciated app I've ever used.

NertSkull
March 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM
+1 for grooveshark. I use it all the time and its awesome.

although I've heard people claim it won't last much longer because it operates in a legal "gray" area.

but for now I love it

Random_Dude
March 23rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
I use Clementine for all my music needs. It's based on Amarok 1.4 and kicks butt. Comes with SonaFM, Last.FM, Magnatune, Jamendo and Icecast. http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/downloads/list?q=0.7+Release%3DRC

Just tried and love it.
I've been using Audacious for a while, but I missed a good organized library, integration with Jamendo and Internet radio.

This one is great and it's lighter than I expected. :)

Cheers :cool:

johntaylor1887
March 24th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Just tried and love it.
I've been using Audacious for a while, but I missed a good organized library, integration with Jamendo and Internet radio.

This one is great and it's lighter than I expected. :)

Cheers :cool:

I expect it to keep getting better and better. For the people that loved Amarok 1, this is awesome.

wojox
March 24th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Install Radio Tray and build your own library. Simple and lightweight.

weasel fierce
March 24th, 2011, 04:42 AM
+1 for grooveshark. I use it all the time and its awesome.

although I've heard people claim it won't last much longer because it operates in a legal "gray" area.

but for now I love it

so checking it out and its pretty wicked. You can listen to more or less anything. It does seem a bit too good to be true huh.

rykel
November 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM

Hi, I am also +1 for TuneIn. It is the ONLY app I have used on Android which seems to be able to identify radio stations all over the planet. And their Listen-On-The-Web player works well in Ubuntu too! :D

HermanAB
November 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Since I discovered Streamtuner a couple years ago, I haven't played any of my 10GB or so ripped music collection.

Stovey
November 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hi, I am also +1 for TuneIn...

+2 Tune-in radio is awesome. I also sometimes use Cherry R-player to pick-up IceCast or ShoutCast.

Thanks for the tip on Clementine / Grooveshark.

wolfen69
November 1st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Shoutcast, Jamendo, LastFM, SiriusXM (my fav, though not free)

johnnybgoode83
November 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
I use Last FM a lot these days which I would recommend to anyone. I have discovered a lot of bands/artists that I would not otherwise know. You can install the dedicated Last FM application or just about every music management software on the market has Last FM support.

Regarding my music collection, it has been so long that I don't know which was legal and which was not so legal.:P

ericesque
November 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Although there is no desktop app for linux (have not tried the Windows version in Wine yet) Rdio is an outstanding service.

Free accounts allow you to play anything in their library any time with no ads. There is a monthly limit on free accounts, but the limit is not defined concretely:

“The amount of free a person will get is dynamic and will be based on their own personal use and displayed in a meter in the corner of their profile. A heavy user will get more, but probably not as much as they will want and a light user will get more than they’d ever want. When a user runs out one month, they can come back the next month for more free or they don’t have to wait and can sign up for an unlimited account.”

From what I can tell, Rdio does not fall in any legal gray areas, so if your goal is to "go legit", Rdio may well be worth checking out!

Idyll
November 15th, 2011, 02:20 AM
FYI, I noticed that Rhythmbox plays radio stream

Le Mouv (alternative radio station from France)
http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/lemouv/all/lemouvhautdebit.mp3

at a much better quality than tunein.com via my Ubuntu 11.10 machine's Chromium browser.

I use TuneIn app on my Android Atrix phone though and I enjoy it very much.

On the desktop, we appear to be better off using Rhythmbox or some similar application. Le Mouv (from France) sounds fantastic using Rhythmbox for me playing in central Indiana, USA.

rykel
November 15th, 2011, 03:15 AM
On the desktop, we appear to be better off using Rhythmbox or some similar application. Le Mouv (from France) sounds fantastic using Rhythmbox for me playing in central Indiana, USA.

The problem with nearly all desktop or even web-based internet radios is that their station listing is not as comprehensive and global as TuneIn, even if their sound quality is better. Some may even display only internet radios, while leaving behind conventional radio stations. When Rhythmbox first appeared with built-in radio stations, the list is... well, leaves much to be desired.

If all radio programs with better sound quality have the same or more listing as TuneIn, then I guess we can have the cake and eat it too.

Idyll
November 17th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Rykel,

Yes, I had to search out the stream URL for that radio station I mentioned above because it was not in Rhythmbox's channel listing. I've not found a good guide to use to obtain any radio station URL yet. I'm surprised no one has created a global database yet. I would think every radio station would want their stream URL published in a directory to encourage listeners and make it easy to add the station to any software to play Internet radio stations.

Guess I should write an app for that. :D

rykel
November 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Rykel,

Yes, I had to search out the stream URL for that radio station I mentioned above because it was not in Rhythmbox's channel listing. I've not found a good guide to use to obtain any radio station URL yet. I'm surprised no one has created a global database yet. I would think every radio station would want their stream URL published in a directory to encourage listeners and make it easy to add the station to any software to play Internet radio stations.

Guess I should write an app for that. :D

Idyll, if you could write an app to "load" and "auto-update" the list of all radio stations in the world, you would make Rhythmbox equal to TuneIn and fabulous. :)