PDA

View Full Version : How did Firefox get Google Search in their program

ki4jgt
March 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM
OK, so I'm assuming from what I've read, that Ubuntu and Firefox both get paid when someone searches Google from Firefox's built in search bar. I've looked up Google's search API. It told me to get a Google Custom Search/Adsense Search. Then when I applied for that, I get a notice telling me not to place this in my software. The only place I'm allowed to use it is on my website??? How can I do what Ubuntu and Firefox are doing?

If it's only reserved for certain companies, how does a company meet these guidelines?

lovinglinux
March 23rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
You should contact Google and ask how to get the API for applications. I don't know if anyone can apply.

ki4jgt
March 23rd, 2011, 05:23 AM
I don't really know how to get in contact with google. I've talked to one of their reps once, They told me to use Google adsense. (As stated above, Adsense says I can't use it in my program) but then when I called the number again, "Thank you for calling google, we are unable to take your call at this time, please call back later" I get this every time I call. I've called over a million times :lolflag: OK, so not a million, but pretty close :-(

ikt
March 23rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I don't really know how to get in contact with google. I've talked to one of their reps once, They told me to use Google adsense. (As stated above, Adsense says I can't use it in my program) but then when I called the number again, "Thank you for calling google, we are unable to take your call at this time, please call back later" I get this every time I call. I've called over a million times :lolflag: OK, so not a million, but pretty close :-(

Tell them you're a multi-billion dollar company looking to expand and are interested in using google to power the companies next generation device.

translation: keep pushing for a response until you get one.

Some Penguin
March 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
They're not particularly fond of random programs making calls to the Google APIs because

(1) only human-driven calls are worthwhile for their advertisers
(2) if they weren't, a lot of people would make lots of automated calls for their data
(3) only human-driven calls are worthwhile for their advertisers
(4) if they were generous about allowing it, people would simply lie and take advantage
(5) only human-driven calls are worthwhile for their advertisers

You get the picture. Something with a huge established user base is in a position to show that they're likely not malicious crapware nor simply attempting to collect data until they can compete with them in some vertical. Random projects aren't likely to get that much trust, and you're not likely to generate enough revenue for them to merit an exception unless you're very widely used.

ki4jgt
March 23rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Well, it is open sourced and free. It is a web browser itself with a few extra features. So all inquiries through Google will be human.