PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Disable Metacity

Shadow21
March 23rd, 2011, 01:21 AM
I just installed Firefox 4 and I really like how it looks without the title bar (the bar with the close button) so is there a way for me to disable that only for Firefox? I'm guessing that I would have to disable Metacity for Firefox somehow.

Copper Bezel
March 23rd, 2011, 01:48 AM
Do you have ccsm installed?

If so, open Compiz Config Settings Manager and go to "Window Decoration."

Under Decoration Windows, enter

(!name=Navigator)

To keep the frame except when maximized, use this instead:

!(name=Navigator & state=Maxhorz & state=Maxvert)

Shadow21
March 23rd, 2011, 03:01 AM
Do you have ccsm installed?

If so, open Compiz Config Settings Manager and go to "Window Decoration."

Under Decoration Windows, enter

(!name=Navigator)

To keep the frame except when maximized, use this instead:

I added

To the Decoration Windows field and it didn't do anything. I also enabled Window Decoration.

Copper Bezel
March 23rd, 2011, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm using 3.6, and you're using 4.0, so the window name might be different. Let's try this then. Run this command from a terminal:

xprop | egrep "(WM_WINDOW_ROLE)|(WM_CLASS)"

And click on Firefox. That'll give you the name of the class, which we can also use to identify the window to the Decorations plugin.

Try this string instead in the field first, though:
!(class=Firefox & state=Maxhorz & state=Maxvert)
It should be the only thing in the field, because it means that every window that isn't a maximized Firefox will be decorated.

Shadow21
March 23rd, 2011, 05:01 AM
Well, I'm using 3.6, and you're using 4.0, so the window name might be different. Let's try this then. Run this command from a terminal:

xprop | egrep "(WM_WINDOW_ROLE)|(WM_CLASS)"And click on Firefox. That'll give you the name of the class, which we can also use to identify the window to the Decorations plugin.

Try this string instead in the field first, though:
!(class=Firefox & state=Maxhorz & state=Maxvert) It should be the only thing in the field, because it means that every window that isn't a maximized Firefox will be decorated.

That didn't work either :-k

This is what I get when I run

xprop | egrep "(WM_WINDOW_ROLE)|(WM_CLASS)"
WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) = "browser"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Firefox"

I've been messing around with different Window Decorations and I haven't been able to get it to work.

nknwn666
March 23rd, 2011, 07:32 AM
add
!title=Firefox in the Decoration windows in Window decorations settings in CCSM, thats what i did and it works perfect

Copper Bezel
March 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Weird. Since the class string does include "Firefox", that should have worked.

add
!title=Firefox in the Decoration windows in Window decorations settings in CCSM, thats what i did and it works perfect

That's a bit of a brute force method. It'll apply to non-maximized Firefox windows, including preferences and settings windows, as well as anything with "Firefox" in the titlebar. Opening a .pdf named "The Wondrous World of Firefox" would cause Adobe Reader to lose window decorations.

Krytarik
March 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
!(class=Firefox & state=Maxhorz & state=Maxvert)
I can confirm that those window match works. Of course you need to run Compiz' (desktop effects) for that to have any effect. Is that the case? And it only removes the title bar of maximized Firefox windows, like Copper Bezel said, which makes totally sense. If you want to remove the title bar of any Firefox windows instead, use this window match:

!class=Firefox