PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 Installation boot problem

C0NFU53D2
March 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
hello i have been monitoring these forums for some time now and i could not find the answer to my problem/question.

When i install Ubuntu 10.04 it installs correctly through out the entire installation and all goes well with no errors (i even checked the disk for errors on my 4th try). It installs and when i try to boot up the first time it goes to the console and runs through the code alot and then the screen goes black and there is no num lock, caps lock, or scroll lock. I am not sure what is wrong with my computer, it has installed before just as an upgrade from 8.04 which i had laying around (which no longer works [i think it was scratched by my dog one day]) and now i am running 7.04 and can't get it to upgrade from the 10.04CD.

P.S. the 10.04 CD is an alternate install Disk.

P.S.S. if there is already a solution for this problem i apologize, i did not see it and i couldn't find my problem with the search or the Google search.

tommcd
March 23rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
What graphics card do you have? You may need to add nomodeset to your boot options. See this for more info: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/
You could also try using Ubuntu 10.10. It may be possible that 10.10 would have better support for your video card.
Write back if you need more help.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!