PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install error - most likely graphics card

ihavenoideawhatimdoing
March 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I ran the wubi installer for kubuntu on my computer running a Windows 7 64 bit OS. When I boot my computer up I can go with either windows or kubuntu. I boot up kubuntu and an image of the kde logo appears. Then the computer shows a garbled mix of multi-colored pixels in no distinguishable pattern, yet the mouse is visible and still movable. I know very little about OS installation and would greatly appreciate being FREED FROM THE JAWS OF WINDOWS!... ahem... Thank you for your assistance.

ASUS Notebook G73Jh series

Processor:
Intel Core i7 CPU Q720
1.60 GHz 1.60 Ghz

6 GB RAM

Graphics card:
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Dutch70
March 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hello ihavenoideawhatimdoing (either) :)

See if this helps...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1433477 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1433477)

And welcome to UF!

ihavenoideawhatimdoing
March 23rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome, I appreciate it.

I ended up running the disc install and it worked. #-o

my brother wants to run Linux as well but his cd drive is burnt out and the "install in windows" function didn't seem to work correctly. (here comes another thread)

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Well, glad you got it worked out.

Just use "Start up disk creator" to create a live usb stick. It works better than the cd anyway.

Of course if you're installing it into windows programs. I'm pretty sure you can just download the .exe and install it like any other program in windows. Right click & run as administrator if you're using vista or 7.

ihavenoideawhatimdoing
March 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
my brother ran wubi off of the Ubuntu 10.10 -32 bit version disc (mounted the downloadable iso on a virtual drive) it ran fine and he restarted his computer.

Ubuntu booted up normally and it said something about finishing installation and requiring a restart.

After the computer was restarted (again) an error appeared.

sorry for the vagueness -I was trying to get the desktop cube to work on mine while he restarted the first time. He had to leave so I didn't get a chance to write down the error message but I could probably get the error message from him later today.

What I'd like to know now is weather or not we should try to reinstall it or just do what we can to eliminate the error message and keep going from where we are.

If reinstalling through USB is the best course of action how do I ensure that he reinstalls over the linux designated partition instead of chunking off another partition of his hard drive and wasting space?

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, looks like you'll need to start another thread for that.

You can go ahead & mark this one "Solved" with Thread Tools at the top of the page,
if you're satisfied that it is solved.

ihavenoideawhatimdoing
March 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks again for the help. I ended up needing those drivers you forwarded me to for something else as well.