PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] add-apt-repository won't work with read only files

zyberwoof
March 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
I have a sources.list file that is shared by many machines. For this reason, /etc/apt/sources.list is a symbolic link for me. Most of the machines do not have the ability to edit that file.

When I try to add an additional PPA to a machine with add-apt-repository, I get a "permission denied" error because of this file. I have tried moving the file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list and even renaming it to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lucid.list. Regaurdless of how I do it, it works fine with apt-get, but not with add-apt-repository.

Here is some example output:

zyberwoof@duo:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 42, in <module>
if not sp.add_source_from_line(line):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 636, in add_source_from_line
self.set_modified_sourceslist()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 425, in set_modified_sourceslist
self.save_sourceslist()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 589, in save_sourceslist
self.sourceslist.save()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptsources/sourceslist.py", line 367, in save
files[source.file] = open(source.file, "w")
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/lucid.list'
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv B34505EA326FEAEA07E3618DEF4186FE247510BE
gpg: requesting key 247510BE from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 247510BE: "Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu Mozilla Daily Build Team" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

Is there some way for me to have this type of setup and use add-apt-repository?