PDA

View Full Version : no ogg video support in android? astounded!

gnumbr
March 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
So, android is the supposedly revolutionary mobile platform, based on Foss roots, and yet there is STILL no ogg /ogv video support. Makes me wonder how much they value free software and non-proprietary formats.

What a joke, truly.

RiceMonster
March 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hint: Android is developed by Google, who's aim is to make money, not bring FSF-esque software freedom to the masses.

Grenage
March 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
So, android is the supposedly revolutionary mobile platform, based on Foss roots, and yet there is STILL no ogg /ogv video support. Makes me wonder how much they value free software and non-proprietary formats.

What a joke, truly.

They'd probably be more inclined to add support if more than 0.5% of the world even knew what ogg was.

Paqman
March 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ogg is a pretty obscure and little-used codec, you can hardly blame them for not shipping it as a default.

gnumbr
March 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Ogg is a pretty obscure and little-used codec, you can hardly blame them for not shipping it as a default.

But ogg AUDIO is supported by default :/

Paqman
March 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
But ogg AUDIO is supported by default :/

Well, there you go. You learn something new every day. Surely once you've got h.264 (ie:Youtube) you've got 99% of your video codec needs sorted on a phone though?

If you've got Ogg video files to convert Arista transcoder has presets for Android phones that will sort it out easy peasy.

gnumbr
March 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Well, there you go. You learn something new every day. Surely once you've got h.264 (ie:Youtube) you've got 99% of your video codec needs sorted on a phone though?

If you've got Ogg video files to convert Arista transcoder has presets for Android phones that will sort it out easy peasy.

Hardly the point.

Paqman
March 22nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hardly the point.

Hey, just trying to help. This is a support forum (well, the ranty part of one anyway...)

Recent versions of Android support WebM anyway, so you've got a useful free video codec available to you. Google were the ones who took the ridiculous HTML5 codec spat and produced something useful and open. So bagging them for not supporting a lame duck format like ogg video is just weird IMO. If it wasn't for Google, Microsoft, Mozilla and Apple would still be arguing about it.

gnumbr
March 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hey, just trying to help. This is a support forum (well, the ranty part of one anyway...)

Recent versions of Android support WebM anyway, so you've got a useful free video codec available to you. Google were the ones who took the ridiculous HTML5 codec spat and produced something useful and open. So bagging them for not supporting a lame duck format like ogg video is just weird IMO. If it wasn't for Google, Microsoft, Mozilla and Apple would still be arguing about it.

Okay, I'm happy being weird, then. :)

kerry_s
March 22nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
You know what gets me?
My 800mhz 256mb Android tablet still plays any videos better than my ubuntu nettop with 1.6ghz & 2gb ram.
:lolflag:

cprofitt
March 22nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
You know what gets me?
My 800mhz 256mb Android tablet still plays any videos better than my ubuntu nettop with 1.6ghz & 2gb ram.
:lolflag:

What is the screen size difference between the two?

kerry_s
March 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
What is the screen size difference between the two?

tablet is 7 inch(800x480) & my lcd is 14 inch(1024x768 ), shouldn't make a difference, the nettop has more power & should be able to play as good or better, no stutter, just smooth.

doesn't matter to me though, i'm doing more & more stuff using the android tablet only, as soon as i get a bigger 1 that supports flash, i may just ditch my nettop.

Copper Bezel
March 23rd, 2011, 02:05 AM
It's an ARM processor, and it's not running a full DE, so it's not surprising. My netbook has the same specs and streaming video playback is far from perfect. (No stutter, flicker, or jumping with local files or DVDs, though.)

Tibuda
March 23rd, 2011, 02:15 AM
Install RockPlayer.

Dr. C
March 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Just give it some time: http://www.android-gingerbread.com/2011/02/video-webm-support-comes-to-android-android-2-3-3-update/