PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] change gdm login screen from the command line

surfer
March 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
is there a way to change the gdm login screen (either the background image or the text in the login window) from the command line?

i'd like to check several things at boot and report that on the gdm login screnn.

Krytarik
March 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
How about this, regarding the background image?:

gconftool-2 --config-source=xml::/var/lib/gdm/.gconf -s -t string /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /<path-to-image-file>And which text do you mean?

surfer
March 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
will try that! thanks so far!

And which text do you mean?

hmmm. probably there is text on the login screen. just the ubuntu logo...

surfer
March 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
that just changes the background image of my session. i'd like to be able to change the background of the gdm.

Krytarik
March 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
that just changes the background image of my session. i'd like to be able to change the background of the gdm.
No, it doesn't. It changes those of GDM.

That applies to both, the previously stated command (involving "sudo"), and the updated command.

surfer
March 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
oh, you edited the command. sneaky! i will try the new one. thanks again!

Krytarik
March 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
oh, you edited the command. sneaky!
See screenshot. ;-)

surfer
March 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
oh, i see. my mistake! sorry!

i just had a look at the path that is in /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename and it was the image i use as background for my gnome session. but i will try that tomorrow.

thanks again!

surfer
March 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
ok, i opened the gconf-editor as normal user; there you get the session background. if you open gconf as root, you get the gdm background. thanks!