PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with drivers porbably

Zirts
March 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hi,

So I recently got my self a new laptop, Acer 5552G.
It has a Radeon HD 5650 1GB graphics card.

Now I decided to put Ubuntu on the laptop, becouse I saw in here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/4011/ati-proprietary-driver-performance

That I can still get a very decent performance from that card even on Ubuntu.

Ok so Ubuntu installed, and I make my first reboot.
First thing I notice is that boot up takes about 3x more than it did on the computer I had before wich was 9 years old (laptop was bought yesterday!!!!)

Also the screen was a bit weird for seconds.

So atlast I got in and I did a glxgears witch gave me some pretty awful numbers, almoust the same as on the old computer.

Ok, so I decided that then open-source drivers won't work probably and I installed the proprietary drivers for my video card and yes, the glxgears performance increased a bit, I do mean by just a lil' bit.

So I made a reboot, and now reboot goes about 6 seconds faster wich still aint much. Also the Ubuntu boot screen ain't that beautiful purple thingy anymore, but it is some purple/whie/black picture with very awful resolution and it has the text: 10.10 on it instead of Ubuntu like it should be on the real splash screen.

Ok so thoes are the few things that show that something is just wrong, and I really hope someone can help me with this here.

Regards,
Zirts

Mark Phelps
March 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
If it's any consolation, I've noticed that 10.10 takes a LOT longer to boot -- and that's on the same hardware that booted 10.04 in only a few seconds.