PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Video card not getting past video BIOS on boot

jonnyboysmithy
March 22nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
I recently bought a video card for my pc.
I had it running pretty nicely on Ubuntu10.10, I started windows and later restarted and after that it wouldn't get past the Graphic cards bios.
this is rather odd isn't it?
I suspect it maybe dead or that my motherboard bios is stuffed but i reset that too and it still wont go..
The specs are Pentium4 Proccesor 1gb ram motherboard 661gx-m7
Nvidia GeForce FX5200 DDr128mb

Im stumped ](*,)
Any ideas on what could be going on?

sikander3786
March 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Really odd....

Are the sure the graphics card didn't get fried somehow? Can you check with some other graphics card or the motherboard integrated one? Or check the same graphics card with some other PC?

jonnyboysmithy
March 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I have a different card that will go in my other computer but wont in this one.
But my Nvidia video card wont go in either of them.. or it goes but never goes past the video card bios..

The funny thing is when its in the other computer it will say fx5200 revision 4.3... 128mb ram etc etc and come up again this time saying fx5200 revision 4.3... 64mb ram and wont go further.

In the Pentium4 pc (the one it used to work in and I'd like it to work in)it shows the video bios seems to be fine and then when the pc bios is supossed to come up the screen goes black.. nothing..

maybe i have fried it? but that doesn't explain how it was working fine and then wouldn't after a restart
the integrated graphics are fine.
I suspect it maybe maybe the motherboard bios?)

Concerning the integrated Graphics:
it works fine in ubuntu and heavy ubuntu games like supertuxkart without locking up
and on windows it will lock up after just a minute or two of playing,sometimes more depending on how much load you put on it..

I'm confused!:???:

jonnyboysmithy
March 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM
I remember now, i updated the bios in windows and then restarted.
that'l be the cause..
I'll roll back to the older bios and see if that fixes it.

jonnyboysmithy
March 23rd, 2011, 03:39 AM
nope still doesnt work

jonnyboysmithy
June 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Turns out the problem was that the card just needed a bios reflash.