PDA

View Full Version : Rekonq browser thoughts?

weasel fierce
March 22nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
I know its hard to compete with the likes of Firefox and Chromium, but I must say, I've been using Rekonq since I installed Kubuntu and I have grown to really enjoy it a lot. Just seems to flow very nicely and it does what I want out of it.

Anyone else use this baby?

NightwishFan
March 22nd, 2011, 05:01 AM
It is pretty cool looking I will admit. :)

3Miro
March 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
I liked it a lot, but last time I checked it did not have flash-block plugin. Do they have one now?

In my opinion KDE's biggest weakness is that the major browsers (FF and Chromium) are GTK based and thus non-native for the DE. Reconq can compete, but Flash-block is a crucial feature for me (and many others).

weasel fierce
March 22nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I havent really looked at plugins much, I must admit.

Simian Man
March 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
They are working on a plugin system right now. There are a few sites where it doesn't work real well, so I stick with FF. But when rekonq is a little more mature, it is going to be my default browser. It looks so slick on KDE.

JP121
March 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
I use Chrome. With the Oxygen theme grabbed from the Chrome Store and System Titles on, Chrome integrates wonderfully into KDE.

Spice Weasel
March 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
In my opinion KDE's biggest weakness is that the major browsers (FF and Chromium) are GTK based and thus non-native for the DE. Reconq can compete, but Flash-block is a crucial feature for me (and many others).

Firefox is XUL based

Simian Man
March 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
I use Chrome. With the Oxygen theme grabbed from the Chrome Store and System Titles on, Chrome integrates wonderfully into KDE.

The problem with that is that you can't change your KDE theme at all.

3Miro
March 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Firefox is XUL based

You mean it doesn't depend on the GTK libraries? Could be true, but I am surprised as FF defaults to the ugly default GTK theme.

Lucradia
March 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
You mean it doesn't depend on the GTK libraries? Could be true, but I am surprised as FF defaults to the ugly default GTK theme.

That's because XUL is made to look like your GTK theme. However, you can't send its menu to GTK, because it isn't GTK :V

Starlight
March 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
I liked it a lot, but last time I checked it did not have flash-block plugin. Do they have one now?

Hi! Rekonq is nice, and it has its own kind of flashblock. In the settings window, you can tell it to "manually load plugins" which means that it shows a button in the place of a Flash thing on a website, and when you click on the button, it loads the Flash applet.

StephanG
March 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Personally, I love Rekonq. I always find myself going back to Chrome, because of the smooth experience.

But there are SO MANY little things that Rekonq does right, that I can't help but feel that its a tragedy that it doesn't get the TLC it deserves.

But that said, Rekonq has come very far, in a very short amount of time. Perhaps it will yet attract the support it needs to truly shine...

3Miro
March 22nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hi! Rekonq is nice, and it has its own kind of flashblock. In the settings window, you can tell it to "manually load plugins" which means that it shows a button in the place of a Flash thing on a website, and when you click on the button, it loads the Flash applet.

WOW, I have to try that.

Also, I didn't know that FF wasn't GTK based. Now I don't know what Chromium is based upon.

StephanG
March 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
BTW, Weasel Fierce, I read in an earlier post that you were going to try out Kubuntu for two weeks. How are you liking it so far?

Shmantiv_Radio
March 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I like it, but it's too unstable with plugins. If Flash crashes, the entire browser goes down, and it goes down a lot.

jerenept
March 23rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
WOW, I have to try that.

Also, I didn't know that FF wasn't GTK based. Now I don't know what Chromium is based upon.

something like XULRunner for Firefox.
Neither Firefox nor Chrome/Chromium use GTK, but you can install personas that help it fit in.

and: I haven't tried Reconq, but I tried Konqueror awhile back. Loved it... waaaaay faster than Firefox at that time.

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
BTW, Weasel Fierce, I read in an earlier post that you were going to try out Kubuntu for two weeks. How are you liking it so far?

I absolutely love and adore every single inch of it :)

Let me put it in context: I don't hate Gnome, I don't think its stupid or dumbed down or anything.
I don't hate Unity or think its a crime against Linus Torvalds and I think Gnomeshell is pretty keen.

But KDE and Kubuntu is just damn slick and nice. I actually find myself just poking around the computer randomly and just enjoying how it all works.

On the topic of Rekonq, the only site I sometimes have issues with is ebay for some reason. On the flip side, flash video stuff works more reliably than it did in chrome for some reason. I do have Chromium installed for my wife, but I barely touch it anymore.

StephanG
March 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
My usual haunts all work flawlessly on Rekonq, its just that my university uses a convoluted mess of an intranet to give us announcements, online tests, etc...

While I do love Rekonq, I'm not quite ready to trust it with my academic career yet.

But if you love Kubuntu, then "Good for you!". If you're looking for a few extra goodies to make Kubuntu just that little bit more special, I would recommend:

Lancelot -
sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-lancelot
oxygen-gtk - http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/?content=136216
yakuake -
sudo apt-get install yakuake , and lastly
oxygen-transparent - http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/oxygen-transparent?content=127752

Some people don't like oxygen-transparent, but personally, I've found it to add a whole new layer of awesomeness, if you give oxygen, just the tiniest hint of transparency.

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
aha, yakuake is awesome. I actually used that ages ago.

What is Lancelot?

edit: yakuake lets you have four terminals in the same window. SUPERNERDLINUXPOWER!

NightwishFan
March 23rd, 2011, 06:25 AM
Have not used KDE in forever, but I believe lancelot is an alternate menu.

StephanG
March 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Lancelot is an alternative menu to Kickoff. I'm attaching a picture of it to this post.

The search bar at the top is A LOT more powerful, being capable of doing just about everything that KRunner can. But mostly, I just use it because of the what it displays under "Computer" and the way the menu's are arranged. I'm not really sure what it is, but everytime I go back to Kickoff, it feels... primitive.

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
I like Kickoff so far (not just because it reminds me of the amiga game :D ) but I'll check it out :)

How do I switch back and forth between the two once its installed?

StephanG
March 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Its a plasmoid, just like everything else on your desktop.

So, you have to:

1. Unlock Widgets
2. Add the "Lancelot" widget to your panel.
3. (Optional) Remove Kickoff

weasel fierce
March 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Its a plasmoid, just like everything else on your desktop.

So, you have to:

1. Unlock Widgets
2. Add the "Lancelot" widget to your panel.
3. (Optional) Remove Kickoff

awsome, I'll check it out and see if I like it better :)

I had to restrain myself from piling my desktop up with widgets.

robro
March 23rd, 2011, 07:03 AM
It looks really great but its so slow on my computer its not even funny :|
Ill try when the next version comes out and see if it improves

:popcorn: