PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this laptop?

COMPUTIAC
March 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Hello, I would like to hear all thoughts on this machine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-L675-S7108/15641709#ShortReviewTitleBar

Pro's and con's please, you do not have to be gentle, I can take a good beatin up !

Thank's

CharlesA
March 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
One of the big cons for me is that it only has a 10/100 NIC, but at that price, it's not a deal breaker for a 17" laptop imo.

HermanAB
March 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Howdy,

In general, Toshiba (and Sony) don't play nice with Linux.

You will likely have trouble with the cooling fan, the video driver or the WiFi adaptor, or all of the above.

el_koraco
March 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM
don't do it, the toshiba satellite series is the worst model toshiba has ever made. the cooling fan will not probably, but certainly break. when it does, you'll have to do this: http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A105-Laptop-Overheating-Dust-Removal-Guide/index.html
as someone who has done it, i can testify to the fact that it is not a fun process.

cprofitt
March 21st, 2011, 07:24 PM
I am not a fan of the Toshiba computers -- though my wife has been happy with hers. I have had to clean out the CPU cleaning fan once a year (not had to do that once on my Thinkpads). Here are my specific concerns:

Very large and bulky - 6.61lbs
Unsure what model of Wireless card it has
10/100 Ethernet instead of 10/100/1000

Other than that it is likely a decent machine. It is rated well on Amazon.

cariboo
March 21st, 2011, 07:35 PM
That model is currently on sale at the local Walmart for $350CDN, I've set a couple of them up for customers. For a low priced Windows system, they aren't bad, but of course you get what you pay for.

OldTimeTech
March 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
My husband has an older Toshiba. Yes, I have Ubuntu on it, but have had to keep it at 10.4 as it will not handle any of the newer versions. Had to leave it at the 9.4 until 10.4 came out.

Is heavy, is not for traveling, but if you have eye sight problems (as hubby does) is good for bigger fonts.

I have to say that is a great price for an i3, the Toshiba we have is a duel core and runs fast and cost an arm and a leg.

COMPUTIAC
March 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hello, Thank's for all the input. I guess I will pass on it.

el_koraco ; You are right, I would not want to do that repair.

Thank's