PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ati/amd proprietary fglrx graphics driver

h9uest
March 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi people:

I'm using ubuntu 10.04, and I have the fglrx graphics driver suggested by the system. I installed it, but will never be able to restart my ubuntu. While it's loading ubuntu, it gets stuck forever. That forced me to reinstall ubuntu for a couple of times, and now I don't dare to install the graphics driver again.

As a result, I don't have 3-D acceleration, which is really sub-optimum.

Can anyone share some inputs on this issue? Is there a possible work-around?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Phelps
March 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Without knowing the make and model video card/chip, it's hard to provide specific advice ...

If you don't know what that it, open a terminal and do "lspci". Look for the line that has "VGA" in it.

h9uest
April 9th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Without knowing the make and model video card/chip, it's hard to provide specific advice ...

If you don't know what that it, open a terminal and do "lspci". Look for the line that has "VGA" in it.

Hi Mark:

Sorry for the delay:

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

That's the graphics card, I think.

coffeecat
April 9th, 2011, 01:35 PM
It's disappointing that you are not getting 3d with the default open source driver in Lucid and your Mobility HD3400 card. With both my laptop Mobility HD4200 and desktop HD4350 I get good 3d with the open source driver.

The default open source ATI driver in Maverick is better than the one in Lucid. Try downloading the ISO for Maverick/10.10 and running that live to see if you can get 3d. I know this is not an optimum solution but 10.10 may work better for you.

GopalaDasa
April 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Same problem here! Stuck! Now going to re-install the Ubuntun and wont dare to install any suggestion unless I know what it may cause the trouble! :(

As I am doing all these practical in my brand new laptop so no data is there.

But I am wondering what if I have data in my laptop and if it ever cause such trouble then that may put me to format my system and I may loose the data.

ANy solution for such situation? Thank you!

coffeecat
April 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
But I am wondering what if I have data in my laptop and if it ever cause such trouble then that may put me to format my system and I may loose the data.

If you ever find yourself in the situation of having a system that you cannot boot into the GUI with because of a bad video driver and you have data to rescue, this is easily done with the live CD. Something you cannot do with Windows.