PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icewm won't run after a logout

frankzen
March 21st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Running an up-to-date Ubuntu Natty - IceWm will run IF I go into it from GDM after a reboot. If I logout and try to go back into Ice it simply returns to the GDM prompt. I have checked all the logs and nothing relevant appears in any of them. I re-installed Icewm but no change.
Any ideas?

frankzen
March 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Nobody ??

bobb40
May 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the tip on how to run Icewm in Natty - I'd been trying without any success at all. But I don't know how to get it to run after a logout - will post if I find out.

frankzen
May 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I have since discovered that it will run, IF you change the desktop file to exec icewm, not icewm-session. But then you lose all xsessions abilities, such as running a startup file to start other processes with icewm.
So the problem appears to be in icewm-session.

prasadbrg
July 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Hi Frankzen,
I've been having the same issues that you've been having. How exactly do you change the 'desktop file' to exec icewm and not icewm-session?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

G

EDIT: Figured it out myself:

sudo gedit /usr/share/xsessions/IceWM.desktop
Change the line
Exec=/usr/bin/icewm-sessionto

Exec=/usr/bin/icewm

Thanks anyways!

frankzen
July 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I see you figured it out yourself :) Now to figure out why! Well it's apparently because Gnome runs a session manager, and so icewm-session won't run after that.

prasadbrg
July 28th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Now to figure out why! Well it's apparently because Gnome runs a session manager, and so icewm-session won't run after that. :) I do hope this issue is resolved at the earliest...
:popcorn:

frankzen
October 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM
:) I do hope this issue is resolved at the earliest...
:popcorn:

Still not resolved. October 2011 !!!