PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Use KDE's theme in Gnome Apps

kamaru44ken
March 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone.

I have the latest Ubuntu installed in my laptop. I have both KDE and Gnome installed. However, I prefer Gnome Desktop Environment but I want the KDE's theme (I dont know what it's called). Is there a way that I can use the KDE's theme in Gnome Apps. For example, gEdit will look like as if it is natively coded with KDE and will look something similar to KWrite. Any how-to?

PS: I dont want to use the KDE Workspace, I just want to use the KDE theme in my Gnome apps (like gedit, gnome-shell, etc.). I've been searching the net for that but I wasn't able to find one.

SantaFe
March 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
I know Synaptic has QTCurve, which when installed installs gtk2-engines-qtcurves that does what you want.

This package(gtk2-engines-qtcurves) together with kde-style-qtcurve aim to provide a unified look
and feel on the desktop when using KDE and GNOME applications.

This package is most useful when installed together with kde-style-qtcurve.

But not sure if it's just the color scheme it uses, or if it also brings things like styles (bespin, GTK, ect) are brought over as well. :o

Frogs Hair
March 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
There are some themes that come pretty close color wise here . You may like some of the Elementary themes , I think to get the KDE application lay out you will have to use KDE. http://gnome-look.org/

Zorael
March 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hmm. You could make a symbolic link of your ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 file, which KDE sources upon session start to theme GTK programs, to also be ~/.gtkrc-2.0, which GTK programs normally read for theming information. I'm not sure that would work but I also don't see why not.

$ mv ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ~/.gtkrc-2.0-old # just to backup
$ ln -s ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 ~/.gtkrc-2.0
Do note that this would make GNOME and KDE share GTK theming settings completely, so changes made in one will also be present in the other. If you just want to mirror the settings and not share them, just copy the -kde4 file to the other instead of linking it.

If there is any way to add a theme in GNOME's settings, the QtCurve theme (if installed (apt://gtk2-engines-qtcurve)) is located at /usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0. Perhaps you can just add the path in some theme configuration menu.

kamaru44ken
March 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I have tried installing qtcurve but i don't know how to enable this theme. there's no option to use this unlike in kde.

kamaru44ken
March 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM
i've tried looking at that site but haven't found one. maybe i need to search more.

kamaru44ken
March 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hmm. You could make a symbolic link of your ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 file, which KDE sources upon session start to theme GTK programs, to also be ~/.gtkrc-2.0, which GTK programs normally read for theming information. I'm not sure that would work but I also don't see why not.

$ mv ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ~/.gtkrc-2.0-old # just to backup
$ ln -s ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 ~/.gtkrc-2.0Do note that this would make GNOME and KDE share GTK theming settings completely, so changes made in one will also be present in the other. If you just want to mirror the settings and not share them, just copy the -kde4 file to the other instead of linking it.

If there is any way to add a theme in GNOME's settings, the QtCurve theme (if installed (apt://gtk2-engines-qtcurve)) is located at /usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0. Perhaps you can just add the path in some theme configuration menu.

hmm. im gonna try this and ill post a reply to see if this will work.