PDA

View Full Version : Building your own o/s

Eiji Takanaka
March 21st, 2011, 04:31 AM
In order to go forward, sometimes one must go back.

Studying and fully comprehending the very intracacies of the earliest computers and building upon that knowledge, would probably be the way to start such an endeavour.

Before that understanding how each component within a 'computer' works and cooperates with other components i.e circuit design/schematics, would probably be desirable.

I think i might copy old linus and adopt a name based on myself for my distro...something nice and humble like 'danisamazingux' daniscoolux' or some other such name, that shows my humility and compassion towards others. Failing that i might go with the always humble 'danux'. I'm not quite sure yet still toying with ideas on that one.

Has anyone else attempted a completely custom o/s build? ;)

gnumbr
March 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM
Do it. I'd use it (in time).

ikt
March 21st, 2011, 04:48 AM
I think i might copy old linus and adopt a name based on myself for my distro...something nice and humble like 'danisamazingux' daniscoolux' or some other such name, that shows my humility and compassion towards others.

Linus Torvalds had wanted to call his invention Freax, a portmanteau of "freak", "free", and "x" (as an allusion to Unix). During the start of his work on the system, he stored the files under the name "Freax" for about half of a year. Torvalds had already considered the name "Linux," but initially dismissed it as too egotistical.[7]

In order to facilitate development, the files were uploaded to the FTP server (ftp.funet.fi) of FUNET in September 1991. Ari Lemmke, Torvald's coworker at the University of Helsinki who was one of the volunteer administrators for the FTP server at the time, did not think that "Freax" was a good name. So, he named the project "Linux" on the server without consulting Torvalds.[7] Later, however, Torvalds consented to "Linux".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux#The_name

And are you aware of what Git means?

Eiji Takanaka
March 21st, 2011, 05:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28slang%29 ?

;)

Eiji Takanaka
March 21st, 2011, 05:05 AM
p.s i ent got anything against linus man, what he added to the whole free source scene was extremely useful regardless of naming conventions.

This whole thing about rms and him, i dunno man its like two people who both implemented useful beneficial nuances in the computing world, that are equally desirable.

Which is more important a combustion engine or the fuel that runs it?

Eiji Takanaka
March 21st, 2011, 05:18 AM
To be fair though, i am no authority on such things, and have not really researched into what both parties have contributed, a brief bit of research tells me the rms fella has been doing his thing since '83 and old linus since '91. I don't know if its a fair analogy to say what i did about an engine and its fuel, perhaps peoples merit and respect should be awarded on what they contribute/effort put in, and not how popular a system becomes.

Anyways seems to me from an 'outsiders' viewpoint and at first glance, they've both contributed something very useful and worthwhile to the computing scene and should both be respected for their contributions, whether that be in equal merit or not, we shall allow that little debate to continue.....

ikt
March 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28slang%29 ?

;)

You have seen this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)

This whole thing about rms and him, i dunno man its like two people who both implemented useful beneficial nuances in the computing world, that are equally desirable.

To a degree, I really don't have much desire to run a completely free software at all, to do so is a detriment to me, that's just the way the world works. (ati/nvidia drivers in particular)

The impact purist free software would have on the world would be minimal if all the purist free software was crap and didn't run on anything, so to make the comparison, what is more valuable, an engine that can run using many fuels, or a fuel that won't run on any engines?

This thing is way to deep to make quick analogies.

Anyways seems to me from an 'outsiders' viewpoint and at first glance, they've both contributed something very useful and worthwhile to the computing scene and should both be respected for their contributions, whether that be in equal merit or not, we shall allow that little debate to continue.....

respected, maybe?, thanked, sure :)

Greg Kroah-Hartman is a linux kernel hacker, and I am appreciative and thankful for his work, but he comes across as a complete ****.

mips
March 21st, 2011, 08:12 AM
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1663287

shobon
March 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
But Linux is merely a kernel. The GNU userland is what makes the GNU/Linux operating system. Not to mention Linus was against naming Linux after him, it's egotistic.

Edit: whoops, this has already been brought up @_@

Eiji Takanaka
March 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Ikt i'm not sure how to quote on here so i shall just do it ye olde fashioned way.

"The impact purist free software would have on the world would be minimal if all the purist free software was crap and didn't run on anything, so to make the comparison, what is more valuable, an engine that can run using many fuels, or a fuel that won't run on any engines?"

What is your point exactly here? You appear to be attempting to link a statement with an assumption with a question. I'm not quite sure what your logical vector is here dude. Please explain.

Cheers