PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in using UEFI to install ubuntu 10.10

gongwayne
March 21st, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi,
I'm a newer about ubuntu.
Today I'd like install ubuntu on my desktop. The motherboard is intel DP55WB, according to intel, it supports UEFI. So i made a USB stick to install Ubuntu.
However, i found the ubuntu is BIOS booted after the installation.

Could someone help me? Looking forward someone experienced in succeeding in installation using UEFI.

Thanks a lot

srs5694
March 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM
AFAIK, most modern Intel boards have an EFI boot option, but they don't boot in EFI mode by default. Unless you've got a very specific reason to want to use EFI mode, it might be best to just stick with BIOS mode.

If you do want to use EFI mode, you can convert it; but you'll need to replace the grub-pc package with grub-efi and re-install GRUB. This will involve writing some GRUB files to the EFI System Partition on the boot disk. (If the disk lacks an EFI System Partition, you'll need to create one.) Note that this is very "bleeding-edge" stuff.

fr_ank
June 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi,

you have to enable the UEFI boot in "BIOS" and to boot the installer in UEFI mode. For example I can choose the boot order by pressing F10.
If the UEFI stuff is enabled I can see the DVD drive twice with and without UEFI. That's the reason why the UEFI installation from USB stick doesn't work for me.