PDA

View Full Version : If Ubuntu did not exist, what would be your immediate second choice?

youbuntu
March 21st, 2011, 03:39 AM
If Ubuntu did not exist, what would be your immediate second choice as a distro? I want to break away from Ubuntu pretty soon, for various reasons, and I am well versed in GNU/Linux, but recommendations are always good.

Thank you :)

Kdar
March 21st, 2011, 03:41 AM
Arch Linux :) But this is my first choice now.

youbuntu
March 21st, 2011, 03:43 AM
Arch Linux :) But this is my first choice now.

Hmm yeah I have heard of that. I wonder if it is as good...

uRock
March 21st, 2011, 03:44 AM
Arch, Debian, and/or/nand/nor Windows.

youbuntu
March 21st, 2011, 03:45 AM
Arch, Debian, and/or/nand/nor Windows.

Yes, thanks, but I was excluding windows :roll: as I hadn't realised it had been re-classified as a GNU/Linux distro.

Debian is good - am used to apt-get :)

racie
I would say Mint, but that would obviously not exist if Ubuntu didn't.

Probably OpenSUSE, Fedora, or Debian (in that order).

jerenept
Fuduntu, Fedora, or Sabayon.

stlouisubntu
March 21st, 2011, 03:47 AM
If Ubuntu did not exist, my choice would be either Linux Mint Debian Edition or straight Debian. For either one you would need to be well versed in Linux (as you indicated you are.) One might say that Linux Mint is good for new user, but frankly things will break with any rolling release (of which LMDE is effectively one since it is based on Debian testing) and new users will struggle with sorting things out.

3Miro
March 21st, 2011, 03:47 AM
Going back a year ago, I would have said Fedora. I think this is one closest to Ubuntu (not counting Ubuntu derivatives). With Fedora one gets fairly "cutting edge" software, with large repository, large community and it doesn't assume you know too much. I also had prior experience with Red Hat (before it became commercial) and Mandrake (before it became Mandriva).

Right now, if I am lazy, I would go with Arch. However, since I like to compile, I use Gentoo.

wojox
March 21st, 2011, 03:48 AM
Linux wojox-desktop 2.6.37-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 15 09:21:17 CET 2011 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

uRock
March 21st, 2011, 03:49 AM
Fuduntu, Fedora, or Sabayon.

I was gonna say the two "f" words there, but I figured that Arch would keep the OP fascinated for a while.

mamamia88
March 21st, 2011, 03:49 AM
contemplating moving over to debian after support for lucid ends. i just don't like unity.

wojox
March 21st, 2011, 03:51 AM
I was gonna say the two "f" words there, but I figured that Arch would keep the OP fascinated for a while.

:p

jerenept
March 21st, 2011, 03:53 AM

If you want to be fascinated for a while, and, knowing the OP ;) :P I would try Gentoo.
I did use it for a while, and needless to say, after about 10 days, I was back on Ubuntu.

GabrielYYZ
March 21st, 2011, 03:58 AM
well, i use Kubuntu and it was 2nd choice after using Ubuntu for a bit, i liked KDE better. if i read the question as "if *buntu didn't exist, etc..." then my 2nd choice is Fedora, i actually dual boot it with Kubuntu.

if i had to give a couple reasons, they would be:

1. i find yum a bit better than apt. apt is a fine tool and i have nothing against it, but i find myself doing the same things with yum a little bit faster (i.e. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade = yum update)

2. the GUI tool for enabling/disabling/starting/stopping services can be useful at times.

OTOH, those reasons are trivial. i think, given enough time, i would adapt to any distro.

FreeAsInMe
March 21st, 2011, 04:01 AM
well, i use Kubuntu and it was 2nd choice after using Ubuntu for a bit, i liked KDE better. if i read the question as "if *buntu didn't exist, etc..." then my 2nd choice is Fedora, i actually dual boot it with Kubuntu.

if i had to give a couple reasons, they would be:

1. i find yum a bit better than apt. apt is a fine tool and i have nothing against it, but i find myself doing the same things with yum a little bit faster (i.e. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade = yum update)

2. the GUI tool for enabling/disabling/starting/stopping services can be useful at times.

OTOH, those reasons are trivial. i think, given enough time, i would adapt to any distro.

Kubuntu IS Ubuntu... with a K.

barbedsaber
March 21st, 2011, 04:05 AM
OSX

<.<

don't judge me

LADmaticCA
March 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
Hmm...probably would go with openSuse, I'm using it at the moment. But I like Arch as well.

marl30
March 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
Most likely Debian or OpenSuse

racie
March 21st, 2011, 04:09 AM
OSX

<.<

don't judge me

I think he meant Linux distros.

cbowman57
March 21st, 2011, 04:14 AM
Linux Mint LMDE (rolling Debian distro)

I would say Mint, but that would obviously not exist if Ubuntu didn't.

Probably OpenSUSE, Fedora, or Debian (in that order).

KiwiNZ
March 21st, 2011, 04:24 AM
Given that the OP is no longer with us we will close this thread