PDA

View Full Version : [other] Which are you excited for Fedora 15 (Gnome 3) or Ubuntu 11.04 (Unity)?

slooksterpsv
March 21st, 2011, 02:41 AM
Ok so I want to start a conversation about which interface people are more interested in seeing when it's released: Gnome 3 or Unity?

Fedora 15 is going to have Gnome 3 as it's default & primary desktop environment.

Ubuntu 11.04 is going to have Unity.

---------

A few things, just personally, I'm more excited about Gnome 3 as it's worked with my computers better, where I've had problem after problem with Unity:
1. being the ability to arrange the icons in the bar on the left.
2. being screen clipping (which technically Gnome 3 has had this issue before, I don't know about now if it still does).

Unity is alright, it looks nice, is functional, but something about Gnome 3 seems to better suit me, there's something about it that makes it more appealing to me, but we'll find out on release day for each.

Dark_Stang
March 21st, 2011, 02:58 AM
I don't like Unity or Fedora... So I'll probably be moving away from Ubuntu sometime this year. (all I really use it for is a base system and a package manager, so not a big change really)

Copper Bezel
March 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
I'm using Avant Window Navigator with DockbarX as my shell now. It's more mature and customizable than Unity and comes with all of the same features, and Gnome Shell, nice as it is, would mean losing desktop effects and edge bindings and all of the gaps in Gnome that Compiz fills.

I'm excited for the interface I have right now. = ) Either of the others would be a serious downgrade and loss of functionality.

RobbieThe1st
March 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
I don't know.
I don't like Unity, though Wayland+compiz may be decent. I don't really like Gnome either; KDE seems nicer, though as of yet it's got some problems with font-rendering and Kwin being horrible in 10.10.