PDA

View Full Version : A Linux machine for grandma

linuxforartists
March 21st, 2011, 01:27 AM
The $500 Linux PC aimed at senior citizens (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Linux-Ubuntu-10.10-KiWi-PC-Senior-Citizens,12409.html)

Nice idea, but I found the specs to be underwhelming. For $500, you could get a much more powerful laptop than this machine.

For comparison, here's an Asus laptop from Best Buy's website. Factory-refurbished, though.

Model: Asus K52FRF-BBR9
Intel core i3 2.4GHz processor
4 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive (5,400 RPM)
Intel graphics media accelerator HD

Price: $499.99

What do you guys think? What computer would you get for Grandma?

kerry_s
March 21st, 2011, 01:42 AM
You could get a netbook & hook it up to a lcd, keyboard & mouse, it would be cheaper.
I paid $70 sum dollars for a barebone nettop, lcd from craigslist, total I spent was $200 for everything I needed.

NormanFLinux
March 22nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
A dual core Windows 7 HP PC from Walmart is around $400. Add in $50 for a wireless USB card... you will need it for Internet connectivity.

Its powerful enough for every day use. If you don't like Windows, you can run Linux on it.

Throne777
March 22nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
What do you guys think? What computer would you get for Grandma?

I don't know, which one works in the afterlife?

beew
March 22nd, 2011, 05:27 AM
How patronizing. I am not aware that computers are supposed to be age specific.

In my uni there are several distinguished computer scientists who happen to be seniors. At the same time I know quite a few young people who are pretty much computer illiterate.

Copper Bezel
March 22nd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Talk about missing the boat. There's already a $500 computer (http://www.apple.com/ipad/) that's proven to be very popular with the less tech-savvy, including that subset of seniors.

Edit: And yes, computer illiteracy is a fairly evenly-distributed problem.

Lucradia
March 22nd, 2011, 06:16 AM
I'd have to get a PC with the following:

1. It HAS to have minesweeper. (WITH sounds)

2. It HAS to have a neasy-to-use holiday card / stationary maker.

3. It most be able to open up ALL doc files, PDF files, etc. by default. (Newsletters, etc.)

4. It must play CDs easily via the CD-ROM Drive.

5. It must have the hosts file set up to block malicious sites by default.

etc.

In short, no, it wouldn't be what I'd buy for grandma.

HermanAB
March 22nd, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hmm, for my mother in law I provided a netbook with Skype and a browser with a link to facebook. It sits next to her phone in her kitchen and is almost always running Skype.

Jagoly
March 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
My Auntie (68) in Melbourne is is the most computer-literate person I know. She would settle for nothing less than Custom-Built, Quad core, 24" LED goodness. Last time I saw her she was setting up an NVidea SLI. She would laugh her head off if she saw this.

3rdalbum
March 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
It has a custom desktop called "Me Menu"? I thought Me Menu was the thing that sits almost on the far right on my Gnome panel!

Eldera
March 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
I checked out Kiwi PC's website. They are offering only a desktop. If by "Seniors" they are referring to people in the 70 to 90 age bracket, our age specific issues are failing eyesight and a need for comfort, not computer illiteracy. (Illiteracy is not age specific.)

Many people in the 70-90 age group suffer from arthritis. I personally am not able to sit at a desktop, and would not recommend a desktop for anyone my age.

For comfort I would recommend a laptop or something smaller. For aging eyesight problems I would recommend a screen on a device that was the largest and heaviest that the senoir who is buying it could comfortably hold. A laptop with a 15" screen and resolution set to 1024 x600 is a good fit for me. I also adjust the fonts in the various programs I use.

If we are going to stereotype senior computer users, think of someone in a upholstered chair or a wheel chair, with their feet up, a lap robe over their knees, and their computer in their lap; happily downloading pictures of their great-grandkids, surfing the web, or playing some games.

IMHO Kiwi PC has missed the boat by offering a desktop.