PDA

View Full Version : Revolution?

steveneddy
March 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I was speaking with a friend on my Facebook page the other day and he was telling me of his new iMac. I love Macs and I also wish I could buy one at this moment. I feel as if these machines are beautiful and elegant - and like Linux in many ways - it just works.

So to get to the crux of my statement - he stated that he loved the iMac especially since it didn't come with the stench of revolution. A statement which I found humorous but I can say that I don't disagree with his statement.

Now don't get me wrong - I have been a Linux user for many moons, as can be attested to by my join date and a couple of posts on the UF - but - sometimes the feeling of running Linux, and the attitudes one encounters while running in the Linux circles, can make one feel as if either we have pulled one over on the big guys or simply snubbing corporate attitudes by running free software that actually works better than many commercial alternatives (Windows especially).

So how do you feel? Do you feel by using Linux or Ubuntu that you are part of a "revolution" - or are you tired of the "revolution" part but still use Linux until you can afford a Mac or other personal computing device with any other operating systems installed?

Discuss...

Shpongle
March 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I get what your saying but personally I use it due to the transparency . I mean that in the sense that you can see everything under the hood . Being a soon to be computer science graduate I find I learn more from just using linux , seeing how the different components of the OS operate . I understand more about OS's in general from that. It has also opened up a new world in terms of programming ideas and concepts without even having to look at any source code.

I like the fact that the user is in control and not feeling like a cash cow. I was considering getting a mac for the just works factor a while ago but decided against it , but to be honest the gripes I have with certain applications will be fixed soon or can be replaced with others so its not such a big deal.
But to each his own

Xantheil
March 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
My reasons for using Linux:
1. Stability
2. Cheaper (I didn't need to buy Photoshop or Maya, but still)
3. Geekiness
Actually that's the main reason. I love the fact that most people struggle to understand my system.
4. Customizabily
I'm a freak as far as that is concerned. My main expenditure in Windows was Stardock Object Dekstop (until I realised it was too heavy and uhh, flashy?)

Realastically speaking, I don't think either OSX or Linux is ever going to dent Windows share. Mac is all cool and beautiful, while linux is all geeky. They'll have their userbase, but so will Windows. Beacause Windows just works. Linux doesn't (unfortunately). So, it's not really a revolution. And I don't wish for it to change. I love it the way it is!

Wow, most of it was Offtopic ****..

TeoBigusGeekus
March 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Though I like revolutions I don't think that I use linux because I feel I'm in a revolution: I feel more like I'm in a process of continuous evolution.

The open source community is a living organism that pushes the IT field forwards; I want to be on that train.

As for the "stench of revolution", I can understand you and your friend wanting a system that just works, but this can be easily achieved with linux as well (unless you're an engineer, but that's another story - see my sig).
Apple has it easy producing stable machines, because their software is designed and tested only on specific hardware specs. Try to put it on other systems though...

Shmantiv_Radio
March 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Generally layout and ease of use.

I hate the Start menu in Vista and 7. The way it organises programs bugs the crap out of me.

Installing programs in Ubuntu/Kubuntu(10.10) couldn't be easier. Free programs on Windows are always risky. You'll probably end up installing the Ask toolbar unless you look and untick the little box.

Then again, installing drivers in Windows is much, much, much easier.

Timmer1240
March 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I Use Linux simply because I enjoy using it better than Windows Xp.It is faster more secure and trouble free than xp was.I can do everything I need to do with free software burn cds browse the web do office work print ect ect.For me it was a choice between constantly having to maintain and worry about getting trojans and viruses and malware and I did with Windows or running Linux being secure not having to worry or pay for all the software I need to do simple tasks Linux gave me freedom from all the headaches of running Microsoft.For others Microsoft may seem better for them I didnt like all the work of it!For me with a little reading exploring and tweaking Linux works great if your willing to spend some time with it!

Hyporeal
March 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
There is a stereotype that Linux users are trying to "stick it to the man". There is also a stereotype that Mac users are self-absorbed snobs. If I really had to choose a side, I would go with the former -- "stench of revolution" notwithstanding. Having said that, I think it is petty and foolish to judge a platform based on stereotypes of the people who use it.

youbuntu
March 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
GNU/Linux brings an incredible wealth of FREE software, and also encourages a community aspect, as we all contribute to the makeup of it. Helping your neighbour to configure his system can mean you make new friends whilst doing so.

Use what you wish, and tolerate others and their choices - that is the lesson I have learnt, having been a GNU/Linux "fanboy" first (it didn't work) and a Mac fanboy (that didn't work either - people despise you at times). I suppose that, having been a fanboy of both, shows that they each have their benefits (oddly, I have never been a Windows fanboy... LOL) but no one system can ever be seen as "better", as we all have differing requirements and ideals.

It is software, and I encourage you to value your freedom PRIMARILY, no matter what choices you make with regards to platform. Maybe one day, Apple will open up the OS X source (unlikely, but eternally possible). Just use what you can, and if you CAN find a suitable free software (free as in free speech, not free beer) alternative to the proprietary application you currently use, then I encourage you to try it, and if you like it, replace the proprietary application with the free software equivalent.

:)

el_koraco
March 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
So how do you feel? Do you feel by using Linux or Ubuntu that you are part of a "revolution" - or are you tired of the "revolution" part but still use Linux until you can afford a Mac or other personal computing device with any other operating systems installed?

Discuss...

blah, most mac users are constantly trying to explain to themselves that they're using an OS vastly inferior to linux fore some reason other then they like the design of the case. a significant minority among them are man/woman enough to admit that they forked out insane amounts of money simply because they like the glitter.

rationalization is a *****.

youbuntu
March 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
blah, most mac users are constantly trying to explain to themselves that they're using an OS vastly inferior to linux fore some reason other then they like the design of the case. a significant minority among them are man/woman enough to admit that they forked out insane amounts of money simply because they like the glitter.

rationalization is a bitch.

The myth that Macs are superior, is exactly that. They are neither inferior OR superior, they are just what they are. I spent £800 on a MacBook, this time last year, and the rubber coating on the bottom started to peel off last August. Apple make bad decisions, the same as everyone else, because - as much as we see them as a monolith, they are run by humans, and humans make mistakes. If iPad could run GNU/Linux, I know what I'd be buying next :)

PS: Since sold the MacBook, due to the poor ££<-->benefit ratio.

uRock
March 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM
The myth that Macs are superior, is exactly that. They are neither inferior OR superior, they are just what they are. I spent £800 on a MacBook, this time last year, and the rubber coating on the bottom started to peel off last August. Apple make bad decisions, the same as everyone else, because - as much as we see them as a monolith, they are run by humans, and humans make mistakes. If iPad could run GNU/Linux, I know what I'd be buying next :)

PS: Since sold the MacBook, due to the poor ££<-->benefit ratio.

You say their hardware is not up to par, then say you'd buy their product, again, to install Ubuntu on it? That is kinda contradictory.

On topic, I don't feel like I am part of a Linux revolution.

youbuntu
March 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
You say their hardware is not up to par, then say you'd buy their product, again, to install Ubuntu on it? That is kinda contradictory.

On topic, I don't feel like I am part of a Linux revolution.

Selective reply? I said that the model of MacBook I bought is a poor machine in that one respect. Apple sell productS, not a product.

talk about cherry picking comments to make an argument!

johntaylor1887
March 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
In the beginning I felt part of a "revolution", now I use linux just because I like it the best. The only way I would use OS X is if linux ceased to exist, and even then I would hack it as much as possible.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Apple generally makes decent and good-looking hardware, but I boycott them on principle because of their proprietary software and attitudes towards online distribution, DRM and user privacy.

I admit I'll be the first in line if they ever release standalone hardware that doesn't come bundled with their OS or any other non-Free software, though. Yeah, not holding my breath for that to happen.

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM

rationalization is a *****.

Rubbish

pi3.1415926535...
March 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Apple makes quality and unique hardware. That means that they do have something of a monopoly, and so can raise the prices to ridiculous amounts. Also unfortunately, there is a portion of Apple product users who are overly-zealous, which can be also said of Linux. This gives one significant advantage to Microsoft, that if you use their products, you will not be labelled as a zealot.

sydbat
March 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM
So to get to the crux of my statement - he stated that he loved the iMac especially since it didn't come with the stench of revolution. A statement which I found humorous but I can say that I don't disagree with his statement.Especially since Apple was the "Revolutionary OS" back in the day...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

jerenept
March 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM
A Power Mac G3 (333MHz) with OS9 was my introduction to the world of computers. My first computer was the original iMac.
They still work, but it's really hard to get software.

I use Linux cause it's free (and superior, for my needs). Nuff said. If I wanted to "stick it to the Man" I would be using pirated Windows.

Untitled_No4
March 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM

You realise there are quite a few people here who use Linux on Mac hardware, don't you? So obviously, some people can afford a Mac but prefer using it with Linux (at least some of the time).

As for myself, I have a "shiny beautiful" iMac that runs Kubuntu beautifully. It's my preferred operating system, on my preferred hardware. I like MacOS for the 5% of the time that I use it, but I find the combination of Linux + KDE a more user-friendly experience and that's why I use Linux.

I think that in my case it's much more bourgeois than revolutionary (especially as I rely on my computer to make a living).

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2011, 12:40 AM
About the OP - some people just use Linux because they like it as an OS.

Use what you wish, and tolerate others and their choices - that is the lesson I have learnt, having been a GNU/Linux "fanboy" first (it didn't work) and a Mac fanboy (that didn't work either - people despise you at times). I suppose that, having been a fanboy of both, shows that they each have their benefits (oddly, I have never been a Windows fanboy... LOL) but no one system can ever be seen as "better", as we all have differing requirements and ideals.

It is software, and I encourage you to value your freedom PRIMARILY, no matter what choices you make with regards to platform. Maybe one day, Apple will open up the OS X source (unlikely, but eternally possible). Just use what you can, and if you CAN find a suitable free software (free as in free speech, not free beer) alternative to the proprietary application you currently use, then I encourage you to try it, and if you like it, replace the proprietary application with the free software equivalent.

:)While I don't identify with the extent at which you revere free software philosophy, I respect and agree with your posts like this.

Especially since Apple was the "Revolutionary OS" back in the day...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8
this is pretty much what I was thinking.

handy
March 21st, 2011, 01:25 AM
I use Linux (Arch is my flavour of choice) because I really like it.

Without the community I'd still be using Linux.

I don't give a hoot about the revolution "club" attitude that some may have. They will probably grow out of it - hopefully.

It is just an OS, it isn't really important at all.

Also I use an iMac, amongst other non-Apple machines. I personally don't like OS X, so I use Arch on it. Many love OS X, which is fine by me, it has served my wife extremely well for many years now.

Choice is great, I don't care what others like, just don't make me do what you like & I won't attempt to change your mind either.