PDA

View Full Version : Posts Removed?

shipdit
March 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I've noticed some of my posts have been removed. I'm sure you guys have some reason or another for it, and I was just wondering what it was. If I'm being censored, I appreciate knowing why.

Can you tell me? Thanks. :)

Joeb454
March 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I can't see any of your posts having been removed. Do you know what threads they were from?

Joeb454
March 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Apologies, I just checked, I see the post now.

The post was removed due to it being border trolling in it's nature. By this I mean the way you accuse another member of being a 'mod using a ghost account to stir stuff up', and then go on to say that staff editing posts on a moderated forum is 'a new low'.

shipdit
March 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Apologies, I just checked, I see the post now.

The post was removed due to it being border trolling in it's nature. By this I mean the way you accuse another member of being a 'mod using a ghost account to stir stuff up', and then go on to say that staff editing posts on a moderated forum is 'a new low'.

Ah, OK. Won't do that anymore, then.

Gotta admit, though...I had a point. :)

I wonder, though, if when mods edit a post that there shouldn't be a greater notification than a single, small-text line at the bottom? I mean, I wouldn't want a mod editing one of my posts and then leaving it up there under my name. At that point, it wouldn't be my post. It would be the mod's.

Not trying to nitpick. I know you guys won't change the rules...just saying it's a little shady, in my opinion. Not meant to single anybody out or target any specific user, group of users, organizations or other entities, real or imagined. :)

Thanks for answering my question. Have a good one. :)

Joeb454
March 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM
The staff never edit posts in great detail. We can also see the edit history of posts, so if a moderator does edit the post entirely, we would be able to see how they had changed it.

All a post will usually be edited for is something like:

readability (adding code tags, removing large fonts/hard to read colors etc.)
bad language
insults (if the whole post is based on the insult, the post will instead be jailed)

Those are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head. There is probably 1 or 2 more, but hopefully that answers the question for you :)

cariboo
March 20th, 2011, 11:42 PM
You can add huge inline images to the list too, anything thing bigger than 800X600 needs to be an attachment, or a link to an offsite picture service.

shipdit
March 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
The staff never edit posts in great detail. We can also see the edit history of posts, so if a moderator does edit the post entirely, we would be able to see how they had changed it.

All a post will usually be edited for is something like:

readability (adding code tags, removing large fonts/hard to read colors etc.)
bad language
insults (if the whole post is based on the insult, the post will instead be jailed)

Those are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head. There is probably 1 or 2 more, but hopefully that answers the question for you :)

I get your point, but to me any change - any at all - should void the original poster of any responsibility for any consequences (i.e. warnings, infractions, or any potential legal liability (copyright infringement, etc) of the post. If it needs to be jailed, fine, jail it...but changing what people say - in any shape or form - is morally reprehensible. In a way, it's worse than censorship. With censorship, everybody knows a person is being silenced. The modification of posts is sneaky. You (the moderators) can see the changes, but everybody else is in the dark.

You say you remove insults? How do we know? You could've removed something you didn't agree with. Sure, another mod can catch you at it...but if it's staff mandated, for instance, to silence any posts that state a dislike of Ubuntu or the forums or the staff...? Basically, who watches the watchers?

Not challenging you or anything, just using my brain for something beyond the slavish boot-licking that seems to be so pervasive on message boards across the interwebs. :)

Just my opinion, and your original response answered my question just fine. Thanks for the detail. It's a nice flourish. :)

Again, have a great day. :D

bodhi.zazen
March 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM
We keep a copy of the original post so yes we can determine who made any changes.

No , editing of a post by the staff does nor absolve you of your responsibility.

Joeb454
March 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
It's probably worth adding to that last comment made by bodhi.zazen there - if the post has something that needs editing out, etc. - the action would be taken before the post was edited.

shipdit
March 23rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
No , editing of a post by the staff does nor absolve you of your responsibility.

It should. But I doubt you'll agree. You're on the other side of the fence.

To me, though, it's the same as if someone steals your car and crashes it into a building. Is that wreck your fault? Neither, to me, is it my responsibility for the content of a post if a mod changed it without my permission and without notifying me of a change beyond a small text, quarter line "edited by" comment at the bottom of a post that I have no feasible reason to read again.

Even still, rules are rules I guess, and I'm not asking they be changed (even if I believe they should be).

I think we've all devoted more than enough time to this thread. Don't you gentlemen agree?

Thanks for answering my questions. :)