PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen frozen while installing OS system

treblemaker48
March 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM
hello, I am reinstalling ubuntu mavericks as I could not get the first install to work right. I installed from a CD that I burned. 3/4 of the way through the "installing system" process the screen went dead. The cursor does not respond nor does anything happen with the keyboard. Be aware that I don't know very many things about what a keyboard can do.

The screen has been frozen for about a half hour now. Anyone got any suggestions???:confused:

treblemaker48
March 20th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I should mention that I posted yesterday under a different thread. I was told to not force a shut down but hold alt and sys reg then enter reisub. I tried that and nothing happened. What to do next is the question.

Dutch70
March 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I should mention that I posted yesterday under a different thread. I was told to not force a shut down but hold alt and sys reg then enter reisub. I tried that and nothing happened. What to do next is the question.

Welcome to UF
When using the reisub keys to shut down, with some keyboards you have to be sure to let off the alt & sys rq keys before letting up the "b" key, and sometimes you may need to try it twice. If that doesn't work, you may be forced to do a hard reboot. If so, be sure to hold the power button until it completely stops.

Also, what video card do you have?