PDA

View Full Version : eBooks vs paper books

Cracklepop
March 20th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Here are some pros and cons for ebooks (vs paper).

Pros
- easier to move/purchase
- easier to store/carry
- zero marginal publishing costs
- no dead trees

Cons
- some old school publishers are still using DRM
- easier to lose/deteriorate than paper
- may not be as comfortable on the eyes to read
- not even 90yo grandmothers need to be taught how to read paper
- need a device to read them
- currently overpriced
- need constant energy supply to read (not a big deal in cities)
- physical feel/smell ?
- better interface? I still buy paper text books because they're easier to interact with...

Only a few pros, but IMHO they massively outweigh the cons. I read literally thousands of books as a kid, but I don't read anything on paper anymore (except my txet books)...
Books are only data after all, and paper was just the delivery mechanism.

I think the publishing industry can expect to go the way of the other old data delivery industries (the recording industry, etc), that is: to irrelevance and oblivion.

Even if you know nothing about the book industry you would have seen book stores (and even entire chains) disappearing recently.

What does the future hold for paper books?

cjhabs
March 20th, 2011, 03:11 AM
If I could make one comment regarding "no dead trees" - the environmental impact of the life cycle of a digital book reader is much greater than the life cycle of a book. If the reader is in fact a multi-use device then of course you would have that anyway, so you are saving the environment by not purchasing books, but if you have a dedicated book reader, I would say that is worse for the environment.

Pro for books - you can read them during take off and landing on a plane!

LowSky
March 20th, 2011, 03:19 AM
- need constant energy supply to read (not a big deal in cities)

Made me laugh... Maybe it shouldn't, but I live in a country where electricity is available nearly everywhere and we can't trip without seeing a electrical outlet.

You forgot the best reason for books. Books are made from paper, ink, glue, cotton string, and cardboard. All of which is easily made and comes from renewable resources. An e-book is not so much, well maybe the recycled plastic shell. And books can decompose, and e-reader not so much (but the data can.. haha).

skytreader
March 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Paper books, for the sheer romance of it. 'Nuff said. :D

Legeril
March 20th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Personally I go paper over e-books everyday of the week, I travel a lot but I think it is worth the extra space/weight. I read a book then give it away, I used to collect books as a child so I have 100's being kept by dutiful parents as they are limited and 1st editions. But I have no discovered the job of giving away a book I enjoyed reading, using an e-book just doesn't feel the same to me.

Cracklepop
March 20th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Made me laugh... Maybe it shouldn't, but I live in a country where electricity is available nearly everywhere and we can't trip without seeing a electrical outlet.

I probably wrote it badly, but my point was that there are places where you can't read ebooks, even if most of us don't go to places like that very often...

You forgot the best reason for books. Books are made from paper, ink, glue, cotton string, and cardboard. All of which is easily made and comes from renewable resources. An e-book is not so much, well maybe the recycled plastic shell. And books can decompose, and e-reader not so much (but the data can.. haha).But an ebook doesn't have physical form...
Renewable materials is good, but zero materials is better.
If I could make one comment regarding "no dead trees" - the environmental impact of the life cycle of a digital book reader is much greater than the life cycle of a book. If the reader is in fact a multi-use device then of course you would have that anyway, so you are saving the environment by not purchasing books, but if you have a dedicated book reader, I would say that is worse for the environment.

Pro for books - you can read them during take off and landing on a plane!

eBooks themselves have (almost - tiny amounts of energy) zero effect on the environment. Sure, a dedicated reader is harmful (I personally just use my phone) but every time you get another ebook the damage from the reader per book moves closer to zero. Paper books are much, much more harmful. Did you also consider the impact of transporting wood, paper, and then books, around the world?

walt.smith1960
March 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
For periodicals & paperback-type books that are read and tossed, ebooks are a nice choice. Easily transported & no waste. Electronic publications have a risk though--you have to be able to open the file format. I can easily read a book published in 1911. Will .pdf or whatever files be readable in 50 or 100 years? I doubt it. Someone has to be responsible for converting dying file formats to current. Organizations may have staff responsible for such tasks, individuals & families not so much.

fillintheblanks
March 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM
When you buy a new book, you open it and you take a wiff it smells so nice.

leg
March 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I like reading electronic material and find it comforable now that I am used to it. I have read pdf files on a pc as well as ebooks on a Kindle and both on an Android device. I think it is only a matter of time before it is the default method of reading.

Xantheil
March 20th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Indeed they are great. My only problem is reading from a screen. I spend 12+ hours sitting in front of some sort of screen (Work/Video Games). I can't stand it any more. So, every night, I put some music and read. Reading daily helps my creativity (which I value a lot). And yes, every NIGHT (regardless of events that occurred :P)

sanderella
March 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I like both, but paper books take up a lot of room.