PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

Dracona
March 20th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hello everyone
Thank you to evreyone who responded to my previuos post ( new computer, need help ).

this is my system build.

intel core i5 2500k
asus sabertooth p67 b-3
msi n460gtx hawk
8gig corsair vengance
WD 500g caviar 7200rpm
thermatake 850w modular psu
windows 7

so first off, everything is running fine, cpu temps at idle 32c, under full load 48c ( stock cooler )
video card temps under full load 54c ( stock twin fans )

my main gripe is windows 7. i have ony used it for 2 days now im sure there is a lot i am missing. to me win 7 feels a like a mix of xp pro an vista. not to mention, you still have to restart after any update, and after installing a lot of software. after all the hipe they gave the * new * OS one would think they would be able to come up with a way to install most updates without having to reboot.
I do miss Ubuntu, and it wont be long before i go back to dual boot. ( i would dump win 7 totally, but i feel i should try an get my moneys worth out of it, if thats possible )

LowSky
March 20th, 2011, 03:00 AM
congrats on the build... but you went overboard on the PSU.

I'm running a 750 watt Corsair with 5 hard drives, two DVD-RW's, tv tuner card and 460GTX its runs super stable.

about windows 7, I tried installing the Windows 7 Service Pack 1, three times already and it constanly fails. Something about boot partition not loading correctly... idk. stupid

UKBB
March 20th, 2011, 03:08 AM
you still have to restart after any update

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Same as with Ubuntu.

Dracona
March 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
congrats on the build... but you went overboard on the PSU.

I'm running a 750 watt Corsair with 5 hard drives, two DVD-RW's, tv tuner card and 460GTX its runs super stable.

about windows 7, I tried installing the Windows 7 Service Pack 1, three times already and it constanly fails. Something about boot partition not loading correctly... idk. stupid

I know the psu is more then what is needed, i knew it when i bought it. the reason i bought it is the original PSU i bought wasn't comaptible with the core i5 2500k.
it was the 8 pin atx supply line, i needed the eatx 8 pin. being impatient, i went to the lovale parts store an this was the only one they had in stock.

after gaming a bit on this system all i can say is WOW

linuxforartists
March 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Congratulations on your new computer. I was wondering, which website(s) did you use to buy it? EDIT: Or which site you got the parts from?

Dracona
March 21st, 2011, 02:52 AM
Congratulations on your new computer. I was wondering, which website(s) did you use to buy it? EDIT: Or which site you got the parts from?

I bought everything except motherboard and PSU from http://www.newegg.com, but you can get the psu from new egg.
the motherboard came from PricePros through Amazon.com.

Dracona
March 24th, 2011, 11:05 PM
since my last post, the motherboard ( asus sabertooth p67 ) has started giving me problems.
both my keybord and mouse are USB, i have them connected to the usb 2.0 ports next to the round keyboard/mouse connector. the problem is that i loose power to the keyboard and mouse. ( the keyboard and mouse both go dark ) and locking up the system.
I dont know if the system locks up and then i loose power or the other way around.
when the system does this, i try to connect something else to an open usb port, just to see if there is any respon, but there isnt.

I have contacted the seller, and have setup up a refund for the motherboard. i would do an exchange, but tehy do not have another asus sabertoth p67 in stock.

the keyboard i use is a Logitech G-15
and the mouse is a Logitech G-5 gaming mouse.

I have reset the bios in hopes that this would take care of the issue, but it did not help.
So now im trying to find another asus sabertooth p67 motherboard, but they are scarce.
Anyone out there have any ideas on a replacement motherboard? in case i am unable to find the sabertooth.

I would like to stick with ASUS, but i am willing to change manufacturers.

Also, if anyone has an idea that might fix my problems that would be great also.

walt.smith1960
March 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM
You're certainly doing the right thing-it sounds like sudden electronic death syndrome. Asus or Gigabyte seem to be good choices.

msandoy
March 25th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your MB problem. It sounds like a DOA case to me. Hope you can get the MB replaced without problems.

Regarding your choise of dual booting, make sure you install Win7SP1 before you intall Ubuntu. SP1 does not allow for any other OS to be installed on your system. Then it refuses to install itself. I'm considering ditching Win7 just because of this problem. I do not want to dismantle my system physiclally just to maintain updates on Windows. My Ubuntu and Win7 is on two physically separate HD's, but still no go for SP1.

Dracona
March 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
just an update, placed my order today with newegg.com on a new asus sabertooth p67 mobo.

I have just noticed this, the mobo has never messed up while playing EQ2. i have played it several hours at one time and never had an issue. while playing justcause 2 the motherboard has messed up, also while surfing the net and also has messed up while not even at my computer.
Does anyone know of an issue that might cause this problem?
I know it is just a matter of time before it messes up while playing EQ2.

walt.smith1960
March 25th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your MB problem. It sounds like a DOA case to me. Hope you can get the MB replaced without problems.

Regarding your choise of dual booting, make sure you install Win7SP1 before you intall Ubuntu. SP1 does not allow for any other OS to be installed on your system. Then it refuses to install itself. I'm considering ditching Win7 just because of this problem. I do not want to dismantle my system physiclally just to maintain updates on Windows. My Ubuntu and Win7 is on two physically separate HD's, but still no go for SP1.

The boot manager I use creates separate partitions and EMBRs(Extended MBR) and keeps O.S.s separate; they can't see one another unless I let them. I can set up as many partitions & O.S.s as I want; they're all separate. I think it uses some flavor of Linux--it's shareware. I have no interest in this company beyond being a satisfied customer:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation-ss.htm
Pretty handy for managing partitions too. You could install Linux in one or more partitions, Win7 in another and Win7 will think it has the whole drive(really a partition) to itself. It's nice to fool Windows--Windows has fooled me a time or two ;).

Dracona
April 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to post an update about the new system.
when playing EverQuest 2, I have no problems, run on quality-high quality settings, system runs cool and very sweet.
BUT, when running windows 7 home premium, my system would freeze up randomly, I could be surfing the net, idling, playing music, movie. It has never froze up while playing EQ2, but it has froze up while playing black ops, just cause 2. for a couple days i was fretting about another hardware issue.
I then searched the net for win 7 random freeze ups, to my relief, im not the only one it happens to. some-most people seem have been able to fix it. I followed several ideas, fixes and such, but nothing seems to work.

So i have now installed Ubuntu ( YES I'M HOME ), been running 12 hr straight, with no issue what so ever. If i was in windows 7, the system would have froze up a few times already, ( unless I'm playing eq2 ), i don't know why it hasn't froze up while playing eq2, maybe it is only time before it does, dunno.
I knew it when i bought the oem win 7 dvd, but most of me was hopping it would be a better experience this time around.
Be safe guys an gals, I will post another update in a couple days but im pretty sure its a windows issue, not a hardware issue.

I do miss some of the motherboard software, Asus dont list a linux port for their software. ( asus suite II )