PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Naturally Speaking 11

sports fan Matt
March 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 which is a voice recognition software to dictate into my computer. My question is, why can't this work when I switch over to my Ubuntu partition? it is the only reason why I have windows vista still installed. I'm really not sure if WINE would make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas why? has anybody tried to get this program to work, and if so is it really that hard to get it working in Ubuntu or am I exaggerating?

honeybear
March 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 which is a voice recognition software to dictate into my computer. My question is, why can't this work when I switch over to my Ubuntu partition? it is the only reason why I have windows vista still installed. I'm really not sure if WINE would make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas why? has anybody tried to get this program to work, and if so is it really that hard to get it working in Ubuntu or am I exaggerating?

I never managed to get it work under ubuntu. Or it works, but very badly. Use a windows xp or vista, it will improve recognition performances. Forget linux to get voice recognition, it is a large failing way, unfortunately...

sports fan Matt
March 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Ive heard horror stories trying as well.

honeybear
March 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Ive heard horror stories trying as well.

Well under XP, with a good microphone, it does work not that bad, but still a version 20 will be needed so that a machine really get somethign right from teh voice. ;)

sports fan Matt
March 20th, 2011, 01:05 AM
under Vista it actually works quite well, but it is the only thing that is even remotely keeping me interested in Windows. If it were to work in Linux, Widows would be gone permanently

reagle
April 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I use DNS11 with Virtualbox (3.2 and 4.0) and it works perfectly. See this:
http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/technology/python/smoother-vbox-sound

Dry Lips
April 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Perhaps we'll see an open source alternative in the years to come...
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Speech_recognition_in_Linux

Shpongle
April 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM
You may be interested in this https://sites.google.com/site/projectjanet/

oldsoundguy
April 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
If it takes as long to get an actually WORKING speech recognition program such as Dragon working in open source as it took for them to actually get DRAGON working in Windows ..it will be 10 years at least .. since that is how long it took to get anything really user friendly and workable with ease in Windows. Dragon has finally reached the point of not having the need to re-teach it every few days, or the need of absolutely flawless diction EVERY TIME.

susancragin
May 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
NatSpeak 11 does not currently install correctly using wine.
However, version 10 works perfectly well for dictating large amounts of text, if you dictate into wine's Notepad.
I just transcribed 64,000 words, with a tight deadline, and found that it worked very well.
It doesn't work at all dictating into non-wine applications. Stick to notepad.
See the winehq database under dragon naturallyspeaking for all current info.

Lucradia
May 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Windows 7 thankfully comes with dictation built in with the speech system. You can use the accessibility dealie to write stuff with it.

But it takes a long time for it to work well, lol.