PDA

View Full Version : What if buying car was like buying computers?

xerman
March 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
What would happen if when buying a car people face same issues as when buying computers? Here is the results:

1- Apple Car Dealer:
We have 4 models, the Coupe, the Sedan, the Van and the 18Wheeler.
All models are blue outside, can not choose color.
All models are blue inside, can not change the inside.
The Coupe has one engine, can not be changed, and so the rest of the models.
The steering wheel is where it is, can not be changed.
The gear is where it is, can not be changed.
Stock extras are what they are. You better don't update them, if you do so, you will need to change to new year's model to keep using your car or it would be very slow.
Pricing is high but you get "state of the art" design, and you will belong to a community of the chosen ones.
Other extras you should ask to third parties, we don't take any responsibility for what they do to your car.

2-The Microsoft Car Dealer:
What model? you name it. Convertible, Coupe, Sedan, Van, Truck, 4x4, Sport, Quad, 18Wheeler... whatever.
Outside is whatever you want. Can choose any outside colour you want.
Inside we do the design and put our design into your chassis.
The engine, you choose any engine you want, gas tank size, and any other extras.
Stock extras are what they are. You better don't update them, if you do so, you will need to change to new year's model to keep using your car or it would be very slow.
Pricing is ok, as you can choose the different outsides, engine, tank, you can fit your own budget.
Other extras you should ask to third parties, we don't take any responsibility for what they do to your car.

3- The Linux Car Dealer:
What model? you name it. Convertible, Coupe, Sedan, Van, Truck, 4x4, Sport, Quad, 18Wheeler... whatever.
The engine, you choose any engine you want, gas tank size, and any other extras.
Inside you can choose almost anything, you can arrange the steering wheel, the gear, the seats, anything to your liking.
It does not matter if you have a 10 year old car, we can fit the interior and make it perfectly useful for today's needs.
You just pay for the hardware (wheels, engine, chassis..), the interior is for free.
Extras are mostly free. There are some paid ones if you also want them.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 19th, 2011, 12:35 PM
"Linux" isn't a company that sells computers. Neither is Microsoft. Your comparison is invalid. Also, comparing the car interior to computer software just plain doesn't make sense. I fail to see the relation.

gyussz
March 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I think it's hilarious :D

speedwell68
March 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM
"Linux" isn't a company that sells computers. Neither is Microsoft. Your comparison is invalid. Also, comparing the car interior to computer software just plain doesn't make sense. I fail to see the relation.

It is supposed to be a joke. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

RiceMonster
March 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I'm going to redo the Linux one:

You've been driving Windows cars for years, and your car is starting to show it's age. A friend of yours tells you to switch to switch to a Linux car and it will solve all your car problems. You notice there is a ridiculous amount of cars you can choose from, many with very little differences. Your last car had automatic locks, but unfortunately none of the options have that. The dealership tells you that "you don't need that". Furthermore, all of the cars are standard, and you only know how to drive automatic. You're willing to learn, because the prices are really good. You want to buy a new stereo for your car, maybe one that has iPod control. You find out there's a large choice on all of them, but you are limited to what they are selling at the dealership. You know there is a stereo that might work with your iPod, but you need the latest model, and the car dealership is carrying an outdated model. The dealership informs you that you will to wait and get next year's model of your car to use the latest version of that stereo. Later when you take your car into your usual mechanic shop to get an oil change, the mechanic informs you that you must manually do a full tire rotation every time you get an oil change.

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
"Linux" isn't a company that sells computers. Neither is Microsoft. Your comparison is invalid. Also, comparing the car interior to computer software just plain doesn't make sense. I fail to see the relation.You're just trying not to see the relation.

That's more like it. I hate it when people give these analogies pointing out everyone else's flaws and making it seem like Linux has none.

If you need to replace any part of the engine, you had better make sure you buy a part that the manufacturer has already prepared for, or it might cause the whole thing not to work.

piquat
March 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
So, would the Linux car be free then? You'd just pay for a service contract because if your the type to just use the car to get from point A to point B, you have NO idea how to even put the spare on if you have a flat. Although, all you have to do is yell loudly from the side of the road and tons of people will stop by and tell you how to change it. :)

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
You still have to pay for the car, but the paint job is free.

Merk42
March 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM

You've been driving Windows cars for years, and your car is starting to show it's age. A friend of yours tells you to switch to switch to a Linux car and it will solve all your car problems. You notice there is a ridiculous amount of cars you can choose from, many with very little differences. Your last car had automatic locks, but unfortunately none of the options have that. The dealership tells you that "you don't need that". Furthermore, all of the cars are standard, and you only know how to drive automatic. You're willing to learn, because the prices are really good. You want to buy a new stereo for your car, maybe one that has iPod control. You find out there's a large choice on all of them, but you are limited to what they are selling at the dealership. You know there is a stereo that might work with your iPod, but you need the latest model, and the car dealership is carrying an outdated model. The dealership informs you that you will to wait and get next year's model of your car to use the latest version of that stereo. Later when you take your car into your usual mechanic shop to get an oil change, the mechanic informs you that you must manually do a full tire rotation every time you get an oil change.
That's more detail than I was going to say:

You can't use all of the same roads on the Linux car that you did with the Windows car. The alternative roads may or may not get you to the same destination.

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM

That was awesome. = )

Pougnet
March 19th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Very funny

pbpersson
March 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
You still have to pay for the car, but the paint job is free.

Hey, my computer is telling me that you are still running Hardy Heron. Does this mean you are living in the past? :o

handy
March 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Bought new, they are both very poor financial investments, except for people that actually make money out them.

Computers & automobiles become worthless over time. Computers do it quicker than auto's, but with auto's you are losing a lot more money.

I drive a car that cost around $35k when it was new, I bought it when it was 11 years old for $2.5k, with plenty of rego' & with good tyres, 2 replaced recently & 2 still going 3 years on. It has only needed the standard services every 10k & should easily have another 20 years of life in it before serious work (costs) would become involved.

Look at the loss to the original buyer;- just in purchase to resale over 11 years they lost $32,500-.

That's madness.

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hey, my computer is telling me that you are still running Hardy Heron. Does this mean you are living in the past? :o

My real name is John Titor. ;)

mr_luksom
March 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
What would happen if when buying a car people face same issues as when buying computers? Here is the results:

1- Apple Car Dealer:
We have 4 models, the Coupe, the Sedan, the Van and the 18Wheeler.
All models are blue outside, can not choose color.
All models are blue inside, can not change the inside.
The Coupe has one engine, can not be changed, and so the rest of the models.
Pricing is high but you get "state of the art" design, and you will belong to a community of the chosen ones.

2-The Microsoft Car Dealer:
Inside we do the design and put our design into your chassis.
Pricing is ok, as you can choose the different outsides, engine, tank, you can fit your own budget.

3- The Linux Car Dealer:
Inside you can choose almost anything, you can arrange the steering wheel, the gear, the seats, anything to your liking.
It does not matter if you have a 10 year old car, we can fit the interior and make it perfectly useful for today's needs.
You just pay for the hardware (wheels, engine, chassis..), the interior is for free.
Extras are mostly free. There are some paid ones if you also want them.

Microsoft car dealer:

We don't sell door locks good enough to stop random people using your car. Make sure you get some from someone else. Its not our fault if someone gets in.

Also, see you in 2 years. Our engine gets heavier and less efficient over time.

lisati
March 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM
my real name is john titor. ;)

lol

Dustin2128
March 19th, 2011, 11:35 PM
<snip>

Huh? What distro have you been using?

jerenept
March 20th, 2011, 12:43 AM

he's got an AMD Radeon HD card, obviously. And a wireless card. And a fingerprint reader. and he wants them to work properly. and an iPod.

Maybe one of the many distros that provide "vanilla" GNOME or KDE, nothing special.

RiceMonster
March 20th, 2011, 12:51 AM

You know that one that uses the Linux Kernel?

wojox
March 20th, 2011, 01:23 AM
he's got an AMD Radeon HD card, obviously. And a wireless card. And a fingerprint reader. and he wants them to work properly. and an iPod.

Maybe one of the many distros that provide "vanilla" GNOME or KDE, nothing special.

You know that one that uses the Linux Kernel?

Well then Fedora would be the obvious choice. :P

forrestcupp
March 20th, 2011, 03:24 AM
he's got an AMD Radeon HD card, obviously.
That includes about 90% of all laptop users out there.

I hope RiceMonster turns into the next male/female debate. Too bad it's already been revealed. :)

RiceMonster
March 20th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I hope RiceMonster turns into the next male/female debate. Too bad it's already been revealed. :)

huh?

forrestcupp
March 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
huh?

I was talking about when everyone debated whether LaRoza was a male or female because everyone called him "she".

xerman
March 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I was talking about when everyone debated whether LaRoza was a male or female because everyone called him "she".

maybe is a she-male? :D

handy
March 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM
maybe is a she-male? :D

He wasn't. :)

& is still sadly missed from this forum.

LowSky
March 25th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Buying a car is just like buying a PC for the most part.

You select the model you like (chassis), pick between a few engine or interior (hardware) choices, maybe pick a few accessories (no explanation needed), and maybe you decide to use the built in radio or swap it for another (Operating System). There are also the guys who build their own because the like a challenge.

DarkTide
March 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
What if buying car was like buying computers?
I will have at least 3 cars :lol: