PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I've broken Nautilus - libgtk-x11-3.0.so.0 problem - fixable?

infinitejones
March 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
OK, hands up, I've been fiddling, and I've broken Nautilus. My fault entirely. No lectures please! ;)

I'm using Natty and I enabled a PPA in Ubuntu Tweak (the Gnome 3 one, I think) that I didn't really understand, to see what it would do. Well you have to fiddle, don't you, otherwise you never learn anything.

Anyway, so now Nautilus won't start:

nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-3.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Simple question - is it fixable (if so - how?) or is it easier just to re-install Ubuntu? (I have a separate /home partition so that's not the end of the world.)

infinitejones
March 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Bump

Any thoughts?

sonicb00m
March 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
i have this problem today after running the regular updates on the standard nautilus.

fishears
March 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Fix this by opening a terminal and type:
cd /usr/lib
sudo ln libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 libgtk-x11-3.0.so.0

and enter your root password

infinitejones
March 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hmmm. This didn't work for me personally, but I should add that I've already also used the "defaultthunar" script on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager to install and use Thunar (from XFCE) as default, since Nautilus wasn't working for me.

If I run the script to change the default back to Nautilus, I just get no response at all when running nautilus from the command line - no error messages, just a new command prompt and no Nautilus window.

Never mind - I actually don't mind using Thunar - I'll probably wait until Natty is released and then just do a fresh install.

voku1987
March 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Fix this by opening a terminal and type:
cd /usr/lib
sudo ln libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 libgtk-x11-3.0.so.0

and enter your root password

thx, worked for me ... :)

christo91
March 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanx. It's work for me:-)