PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tri booting Ubuntu, fedora, and win 7

Leetgaming
March 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hello everyone, i need some help. i was wondering if i can tri boot Win 7, ubuntu, and fedora. i installed windows7 first, then ubuntu 10.10, and thinking of ferdora. im and using the windows boot manager at the start up so, do you think i could just install fedora and my system will be fine?

Dutch70
March 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hello everyone, i need some help. i was wondering if i can tri boot Win 7, ubuntu, and fedora. i installed windows7 first, then ubuntu 10.10, and thinking of ferdora. im and using the windows boot manager at the start up so, do you think i could just install fedora and my system will be fine?

Welcome to UF Leetgaming

Yes you can, I boot Vista, Ubuntu & Fedora, amongst others. If I remember correctly Fedora gives you the option of choosing to install grub or not. If so, you want to choose not to install it. If it doesn't though, you just need to reinstall grub back to Ubuntu if that's what you want controlling your grub menu. It's not very hard at all. There's like 2 commands to run.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202)

As always, back up, back up, back up!!!

You said you're using windows boot manager on start up. How did you get to that after installing Ubuntu? Just do the same thing with Fedora.

kansasnoob
March 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM

If that means you're using Easy BCD then you'll want to install Fedora's grub to it's root partition.

Leetgaming
March 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM
ok thx :) i just bought a 40gb external HDD today and i was wondering if i could just install fedora or centos on that..

Dutch70
March 20th, 2011, 03:47 AM
ok thx :) i just bought a 40gb external HDD today and i was wondering if i could just install fedora or centos on that..

Well of course. Its safer to unplug your other hdd until you install another OS.

Leetgaming
March 20th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Well of course. Its safer to unplug your other hdd until you install another OS.
yea.... i think i will just install centos or fedora on my main HDD lol

Dutch70
March 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM
yea.... i think i will just install centos or fedora on my main HDD lol

See post #2 ;)