PDA

View Full Version : I want to put a PC inside of a IIGS case!

usagiakumu
March 19th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I recently bought an eMachines® EL1352G-41w simply because of the size, got a low profile video card, Sparcle 8400GS 1G DDR3, AOC e204F LED display and an I-Concepts wireless deluxe keyboard and mouse, for the same price I could purchase a comparable Mac Mini... Obviously the Windows key will go unused as it runs Ubuntu 10.10 now, no you can't have my key I am against spreading diseases :-P. After further inspection, I believe I can fit the components inside of a IIGS case.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Apple_IIgs_001.jpg

The issue being is where to acquire one for free, could be a broken one, however I will modify it so the DVD drive comes out the front and I replace cover the Apple symbol with an Ubuntu sticker and finish it over with lacquer.

It was the very first computer I ever learned on, I have so many fond memories of the case, looks like the power supply in this itty bitty machine would fit very easily inside the back too.

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Windows key unused on 10.10? I can't get past that bit to get to the other part that was actually your question, which I don't know anything about anyway. I mean, Super, the Compiz Key?

usagiakumu
March 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Windows key unused on 10.10? I can't get past that bit to get to the other part that was actually your question, which I don't know anything about anyway. I mean, Super, the Compiz Key?

Windows License Key which will get scraped off and trashed lol. I do it all the time and it angers my one friend... its actually funny to watch people's reactions as to how against Windows I am. Not because Windows is a bad product, but the blatant way Microsoft shafts people with an ignorant naming scheme "Home 'Premium'" and "Ultimate" just to somehow stir up some emotion around a failing product line (technically getting better, but business wise) and then on top of it have the gall and audacity to make me re-activate it and re-enter the serial key AFTER installing SP1 on the OEM installation. From XP on up I have had issues with legit installs having to be reactivated, however successful it may be, their fear is crippling them into oblivion and allowing for Apple and Ubuntu to take hold in a market Microsoft once dominated.

youbuntu
March 19th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Windows License Key which will get scraped off and trashed lol. I do it all the time and it angers my one friend... its actually funny to watch people's reactions as to how against Windows I am. Not because Windows is a bad product, but the blatant way Microsoft shafts people with an ignorant naming scheme "Home 'Premium'" and "Ultimate" just to somehow stir up some emotion around a failing product line (technically getting better, but business wise) and then on top of it have the gall and audacity to make me re-activate it and re-enter the serial key AFTER installing SP1 on the OEM installation. From XP on up I have had issues with legit installs having to be reactivated, however successful it may be, their fear is crippling them into oblivion and allowing for Apple and Ubuntu to take hold in a market Microsoft once dominated.

Dude, you sure do get over-excited about what OS people use. That will never win people over to Linux - you're acting precisely the way we don't want - Linux zealotry is a stupid move, and will just get people's backs up (believe me, I have been there). Keep on pushing, keep on fighting - see where that approach ends up.

Why are you "against windows"? That worries me a lot, basing this advice upon my own personal experience of having been as equally blinkered and optimistic as you seem to be.

As a Christian, you really should know to just live and let live - live by example, and allow others to follow by choice, not pressure or ridicule. I am a Christian too, but would never pressure people into OS choices in this way - it is just asking for backlash.

usagiakumu
March 19th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Dude, you sure do get over-excited about what OS people use. That will never win people over to Linux - you're acting precisely the way we don't want - Linux zealotry is a stupid move, and will just get people's backs up (believe me, I have been there). Keep on pushing, keep on fighting - see where that approach ends up.

Why are you "against windows"? That worries me a lot, basing this advice upon my own personal experience of having been as equally blinkered and optimistic as you seem to be.

As a Christian, you really should know to just live and let live - live by example, and allow others to follow by choice, not pressure or ridicule. I am a Christian too, but would never pressure people into OS choices in this way - it is just asking for backlash.

I am not trying to win other people to Linux at all. I don't personally care what you use. Quit misreading what I post.

I am against treating people like sheep. Microsoft does this. I am for teaching people to be strong and think for themselves. If one chooses to use Windows after trying Ubuntu, so be it. Just don't be blind to the world around you, one without vision is doomed to walk into many walls.

No I am a natural born leader with strength and integrity in my own community, I am a pillar and people rely on me. I don't pressure anyone, people see me do something then ask "WTF are you doing, don't you realise how much that costs?" In return I reply, you cannot serve God and Mammon (money) at the same time. In the same respect Linux is free. I never force my views on anyone but am strong for those who choose to rely on my strength. That is called integrity. From my short correspondence with you, from the words of many you will probably hear in the future, "grow up a bit and quit acting like a child". It is ok to be wrong, but I choose my path with wisdom and vision.

With all due respect, please don't respond to anything I post unless it is helpful, and on point, my point was not to be against Windows, but a case mod. In my opinion a very cool one.

Dustin2128
March 19th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Heh, look who's talking. :roll:

jerenept
March 19th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Heh, look who's talking. :roll:

inorite :P

youbuntu
March 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I am not trying to win other people to Linux at all. I don't personally care what you use. Quit misreading what I post.

I am against treating people like sheep. Microsoft does this. I am for teaching people to be strong and think for themselves. If one chooses to use Windows after trying Ubuntu, so be it. Just don't be blind to the world around you, one without vision is doomed to walk into many walls.

No I am a natural born leader with strength and integrity in my own community, I am a pillar and people rely on me. I don't pressure anyone, people see me do something then ask "WTF are you doing, don't you realise how much that costs?" In return I reply, you cannot serve God and Mammon (money) at the same time. In the same respect Linux is free. I never force my views on anyone but am strong for those who choose to rely on my strength. That is called integrity. From my short correspondence with you, from the words of many you will probably hear in the future, "grow up a bit and quit acting like a child". It is ok to be wrong, but I choose my path with wisdom and vision.

With all due respect, please don't respond to anything I post unless it is helpful, and on point, my point was not to be against Windows, but a case mod. In my opinion a very cool one.

You have made me think about my words, and you're actually 110% right. Sorry if I commented irrationally and quickly - God bless you :D

I feel an idiot, but I am not one - only human, but with God's help and guidance I learn.

lisati
March 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Now now, team! Let's see if we can avoid World War III or some such problem!

Good luck with the project.

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Windows License Key which will get scraped off and trashed lol.

Ah. This makes so much more sense now. = )

I'd never thought of actually using them for anything. My last one came off with the rest of the stickers (including, because I wasn't paying attention, the serial for my machine, which I'll probably regret in the future.)

In any case, this seems like a fun project. = ) (Although to make it really authentic, shouldn't it be Hackintosh? At least use Macbuntu, yeah? = )

barbedsaber
March 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM
In any case, this seems like a fun project. = ) (Although to make it really authentic, shouldn't it be Hackintosh? At least use Macbuntu, yeah? = )

OH MY GOD THAT IS BRILLIANT.

I want to do this, with a custom built, really fast. microATX or miniATX, and OSx86.
I don't even like OSX that much and I still want to do it.

BkkBonanza
March 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
The issue being is where to acquire one for free, could be a broken one, however I will modify it so the DVD drive comes out the front and I replace cover the Apple symbol with an Ubuntu sticker and finish it over with lacquer.

Why bother with a DVD nowadays? Just make a little USB hole and use flash drives. Much more useful. I hardly ever touch a DVD/CD any more. Not for at least a couple years now. Cutting a hole for one seems a bit like butchery.

Use a mini-ITX board and make a wifi router out of one. Cool.

mips
March 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Use a mini-ITX board and make a wifi router out of one. Cool.

These http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3681#sp look really cool and pretty powerful as well.

@OP
If you need to restore old yellowed plastics on a case etc have a look at this http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/