PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Loss of boot options after installing Windows 7

yvsong
March 19th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I used to have Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 RC on separate partitions and I could choose to boot into either. Today I installed Windows 7 Enterprise trial version over the Windows 7 RC partition, and lost the boot screen. Reboot goes to Windows automatically. How can I get the boot options back to launch Ubuntu?

Thanks for any advice.

XsheepX
March 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Looks like the Windows boot manager overwrote your GRUB config.

Hedgehog1
March 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
If your install of Windows 7 only overwrote/updated the current Windows 7 partition(s), then you are in luck; you only need to reinstall grub (GRand Unified Boot loader).

The instructions are here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

You want section 13.

The Hedge

:KS

XsheepX
March 22nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
If your install of Windows 7 only overwrote/updated the current Windows 7 partition(s), then you are in luck; you only need to reinstall grub (GRand Unified Boot loader).

The instructions are here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

You want section 13.

The Hedge

But he can't access his Ubuntu partition to reinstall GRUB. His machine automatically boots to windoze now :\

Hedgehog1
March 22nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
But he can't access his Ubuntu partition to reinstall GRUB. His machine automatically boots to windoze now :\

Assuming the OP is still reading the thread, you are right I did not explain it all.

yvsong,

To reinstall Grub on Hard Drive from LiveCD/LiveUSB:

Please boot off your LiveCD/LiveUSB, select TRY
In the Terminal (Menu to: Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal), copy and paste these one at a time:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt && sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys && sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf && sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts && sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt/sys && sudo umount /mnt
sudo shutdown -r now

The Hedge