PDA

View Full Version : PC`s not ready for Vista

biarritz
May 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM
;) www.betanews.com/article/Report_Half_of_PCs_Not_VistaReady/1144422884

Sef
May 5th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Not surprising. Though I suspect there will be a lot of disappointed home consumers when they find their new computer can't run the full Vista.

mstlyevil
May 5th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think most people will care one way or another. Most people just stick with the operating system tha comes on their computers. It is only geeks that care about such things. Most good geeks are going to build their computers just for Vista anyway.

Rackerz
May 5th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I don't think most people will care one way or another. Most people just stick with the operating system tha comes on their computers. It is only geeks that care about such things. Most good geeks are going to build their computers just for Vista anyway.

True. Alot of people don't really care. The Internet is the computer to them, the computer isn't used for anything more than that with alot of people.

TheCaptain
May 5th, 2006, 11:40 PM

Vista is the first OS from MS in a LONG time that i have found interesting.

It will run on pretty much the same HW that XP does and adapt the bells and whistles to the HW, personally i don't really care for the eye candy stuff anyway, the security model makes it interesting though.

So it's a half truth, no, Vista with everything turned on won't run on most PC's but then again, who really needs all that crap anyway?

prizrak
May 5th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Well in this case they are talking about business adoption. However I don't think companies will be switching to Vista any time soon. Many still use 2K as for a business the added features are fairly useless. Even things like back up and stuff will msot likely not matter as companies already have their own backup procedures/applications in place.

prizrak
May 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Vista is the first OS from MS in a LONG time that i have found interesting.

It will run on pretty much the same HW that XP does and adapt the bells and whistles to the HW, personally i don't really care for the eye candy stuff anyway, the security model makes it interesting though.

So it's a half truth, no, Vista with everything turned on won't run on most PC's but then again, who really needs all that crap anyway?
Alot more people than you might think. If you look at even these forums alot of people are interested in XGL/Compiz/other eyecandy. Eyecandy and new features are intersting if for no other reason than to play :)

Qrk
May 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Do you think there would be a market for "Linux Ready" computers from major makers?

I think HP, Dell, or Gateway could roll out a program where they use hardware known to work with Linux and sell a computer as "Linux Ready," or perhaps "Dual Boot Ready" and still sell it with Windows, per their OEM agreement. This wouldn't be as needed on a Desktop, but on a Laptop it could be a nice touch. I'd buy one.

prizrak
May 6th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Do you think there would be a market for "Linux Ready" computers from major makers?

I think HP, Dell, or Gateway could roll out a program where they use hardware known to work with Linux and sell a computer as "Linux Ready," or perhaps "Dual Boot Ready" and still sell it with Windows, per their OEM agreement. This wouldn't be as needed on a Desktop, but on a Laptop it could be a nice touch. I'd buy one.
They already do and have been for a while. They do not offer it for sale for non businesses normally. Not enough people know what Linux is to make them sell well, not to mention they will need to alter their hardware configs in many cases which would make it not feasible.

htinn
May 6th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Even if Dell doesn't sell Linux, they certainly do use them:

http://www.devxnews.com/article.php/3596816

briancurtin
May 6th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Even if Dell doesn't sell Linux, they certainly do use them:

http://www.devxnews.com/article.php/3596816
...but it was said above that dell does sell linux. you just have to buy from the small business area.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Alot more people than you might think. If you look at even these forums alot of people are interested in XGL/Compiz/other eyecandy. Eyecandy and new features are intersting if for no other reason than to play :)

The keyword is *need*.

yeah, interested as in running it on their dual boot or as a live cd... It's a toy to play with, but for a production PC, who is running any of it an who really cares when working?

I'm right and you're wrong, get used to it, everytime i reply to anything you say, that will be the case.

At least until you stop thinking about OS's as a hobby and realize that for a shiatload of companies the OS and it's reliablility may mean billions of dollars.

helpme
May 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'm right and you're wrong, get used to it, everytime i reply to anything you say, that will be the case.

Sorry, just had to quote it, as it was so incredibly stupid, especially combined with all the spelling mistakes in the rest of your post.

prizrak
May 6th, 2006, 09:49 PM
The keyword is *need*.

yeah, interested as in running it on their dual boot or as a live cd... It's a toy to play with, but for a production PC, who is running any of it an who really cares when working?

At least until you stop thinking about OS's as a hobby and realize that for a shiatload of companies the OS and it's reliablility may mean billions of dollars.
Do you even remember what you said?
a) Vista for business comes with Aero Glass 3D accelerated desktop, the home basic is the one that doesn't
b) No business will switch to Vista for years, many still run 2K
c) You did NOT define the scope of your comment

Yes home users NEED eyecandy, they like the pretty. People who view OS as a hobby DON'T have ANY need for eyecandy because we tend to look at other aspects of it. One of my friends is thinking of switching to Linux from XP because I had E16 running at the time she saw it and it made "cute sounds".
FYI Vista is not gonna have much security improvement over XP, even their sudo model is screwed up. It still has IE integration and IE still has ActiveX == security will still suck as much as it does now. The ONLY interesting thing about Vista is userspace drivers, which is hardly new the inspiration for Linux - Minix was a microkernel OS and that was way back in the day.
Sorry to disapoint you, Vista is not interesting in any way shape or form, even MS fanboys such as Paul Thurrott (http://winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp) say that it fails horribly to provide any new features not found in other OS's.

onesojourner
May 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I love the eye candy. thats half the fun of ubuntu for me. I love the ewwws and awwws i get when people see what my computer can do.

prizrak
May 7th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I think alot of people forget that a hardware accelerated desktop is not only about the eyecandy it also takes a load away from the CPU. So it helps a whole lot when you have a million windows open since the drawing of all of those is up to the card as opposed to the CPU.

Compucore
May 7th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I was relooking through one of the new distributers that caught me over here in order to buy from them. (They are the ones that are a step higher from the mom and pop stores but are between you and the vendors like HP, ACER, IBM.)Like hardware stuff and all that. Even though I do not own or run a company in the IT sector. But still its fun to take a look at still. And I have seen maybe one or two that he is selling hardware wise of laptops from ACER that is strictly linux. No Window installed on it. And for about $500-600 Canadian is not that bad its not the top of the line either. But kind of like it'll get you where you want to go and you don't need wizzy wazoo that every other thing that windows comes with. Which is fine you know. You don't want to spend like crazy for a laptop like I had seen.

I find the eye candy in Ubuntu just nice and the way that I like it over here. Beter than what I can find in windows.

Compucore