PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't remove FGLRX

sssecure
March 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
hey there.
i'm using ubuntu 10.04 LTS and my GTK is amd radeon HD 6850.
yesterday, i ran ubuntu 10.10 with the fglrx offic. drivers properly on my native resolution and with 3D acceleration, though i couldn't run my favorite game minecraft, so i tried to reinstall.
by this, i accidentally formated my windows partition, so all i've got now are my live cd's and this installation of 9.10, where i downloaded the official drivers what didn't work, then upgraded to 10.04 LTS and can't remove the damn fglrx drivers.
the error i get is:
http://imghosting.byl.cz/?v=screenepe.png
http://imghosting.byl.cz/?v=screenkvk.png

how to get this working?
i love ubuntu, i hate windows, it isn't an option for me to get back to windows, the only way i want to use it is for steam games [by the way, will there be steam for linux?] like cs:s, tf2, dow2, which i dont play that frequently as minecraft [i play this every day, on my fav server majncraft.cz]

thanks for reading all this, i'm pretty confused from all this stuff.
and sorry for my english, im from the czech republic

sssecure
March 18th, 2011, 11:12 PM
guys.. i seriously need something. im gonna be up till morning cos of this, refreshing this topic every 5 secs x(

sssecure
March 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
solved by a clean install of xubuntu, then switching to a ubuntu session.

Scottyah
March 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Although I can see you already solved this, if you run into the problem again(or other people read this) I'll tell you what worked for me.

I have a new Ubuntu install with an ATI Radeon. When I had the prop driver installed, Minecraft would close or crash on me every time, usually once I loaded the world. After trying a bunch of different things(deleted and reinstalled anything related to the problem) I just deleted the prop driver and it worked fine.

However, now my compiz config doesn't work, but I'm working on that now. Hopefully a new open source driver will be available soon that supports minecraft.