PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Theme: "Make Default"?

jorge@jorgepadron.com
March 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
On a brand new fresh Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 installation, I go to...

System > Preferences > Appearance > Theme [Tab] > Customize... [Button] > Window Border [Tab]

...and select a different window border (i.e. "Simple"). All my desktop window borders change to "Simple" as expected. My question is: How do I make this modified theme the "default" theme for the entire computer + for all new user accounts and for the login screen? Unfortunately, the Preferences > Appearance application does not have a "Make Default" button like the Preferences > Monitors and Preferences > Power Management applications.

Thank you in advance,

Jorge Padron

Frogs Hair
March 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure if you can make it default , but a start would be to use the save as tab and name the theme. The new users would have the ability to change themes anyway unless you were planning on instructing them not to.

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Try this:
- press Alt+F2
- enter "gconf-editor"
- browse to "/apps/metacity/general/theme"
- right-click at it
- click at "Set as Default"

Greetings.

jorge@jorgepadron.com
March 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Try this:
- press Alt+F2
- enter "gconf-editor"
- browse to "/apps/metacity/general/theme"
- right-click at it
- click at "Set as Default"

Greetings.

Krytarik (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1187548), I have a couple of questions if you don't mind, regarding themes on Ubuntu 10.10:

. If I save my current theme as default with gconf-editor, does it mean that new user accounts that I create from now on will have "my theme" instead of the Ubuntu defualt theme?

. Do you know if it is possible to change the tooltip shape of the Ubuntu login window to square instead of round corners? How do I change the default login window theme?

Thank you again for your help!!!

Jorge

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
. If I save my current theme as default with gconf-editor, does it mean that new user accounts that I create from now on will have "my theme" instead of the Ubuntu defualt theme?

Yes, given that the theme is system-wide installed, in "/usr/share/themes".
FYI, this is the key for the GTK theme ("Controls"): "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme"

. Do you know if it is possible to change the tooltip shape of the Ubuntu login window to square instead of round corners? How do I change the default login window theme?

Please see the first part of my earlier post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10468340

Regarding the tooltips: This depends on the chosen theme, whether it uses the "new tooltip style" or not.

jorge@jorgepadron.com
March 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, given that the theme is system-wide installed, in "/usr/share/themes".
FYI, this is the key for the GTK theme ("Controls"): "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme"

Please see the first part of my earlier post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10468340

Regarding the tooltips: This depends on the chosen theme, whether it uses the "new tooltip style" or not.

Krytarik, THANK YOU!!!

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Krytarik, THANK YOU!!!
You're welcome!

PS: You should do something about your member name!
I'm sure the admins would allow to change it: http://ubuntuforums.org/sendmessage.php

kerke
March 21st, 2011, 08:41 PM
PS: You should do something about your member name!
I'm sure the admins would allow to change it: http://ubuntuforums.org/sendmessage.php

Krytarik
March 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
All these settings use different Gconf keys:

GTK theme -> "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme"
colors -> "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_color_scheme"
window borders -> "/apps/metacity/general/theme"
background image -> "/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename" and other associated ones

kerke
March 22nd, 2011, 12:16 AM

background image -> "/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename" and other associated ones

Krytarik, these are the gconf-editor settings I "set as default" based on your advice. I added a couple (button_layout and icon_theme)"

window borders: /apps/metacity/general/theme
button_layout: /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
gtk_theme: /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme
icon_theme: /desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme
background: /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename

The "colors -> "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_color_scheme" was not available under gconf-editor.

Now all users have the same default theme.

Thank you

Krytarik
March 22nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
The "colors -> "/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_color_scheme" was not available under gconf-editor.

Then you didn't specify custom colors for the chosen GTK theme.

You're welcome, again! ;-)

kerke
March 26th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Then you didn't specify custom colors for the chosen GTK theme.

You're welcome, again! ;-)

Krytarik (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1187548), if on a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 installation, I change the default theme Window Border (System > Preferences > Appearance > Theme [tab] > Customize [button] > Window Border [tab]) to "Simple" -- Now my desktop theme is the default Ubuntu theme but with a different window border. What is the gconf-editor key I need look for to "Set as Default" my window border? The only thing I want to set as default is the current Window Border.

Krytarik
March 26th, 2011, 12:38 AM

;-)

kerke
March 26th, 2011, 12:54 AM
;-)

It worked OK on my home laptop, I don't know why it didn't work on my work test computer.

Thank you!

Krytarik
March 26th, 2011, 01:00 AM
It worked OK on my home laptop, I don't know why it didn't work on my work test computer.

Please post back, after another try.