PDA

View Full Version : OpenSUSE 11.4 - as convoluted as ever!

youbuntu
March 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Okay, so I foolishly thought I'd give OpenSUSE 11.4 a go... MISTAKE. Why do they make something as ####### SIMPLE as connecting to Wifi, such a convoluted pain in the ####?

Seriously, KDE or whoever, I don't care what makes it tick, just get this "knetworkmanager" BS working, first time, EVERY time. I spent almost an hour trying to... GET CONNECTED TO WIFI, and I have now concluded that this crappy distro is to be scrubbed from my system.

Why is it that Ubuntu can make it simple, and Suse make it stupidly fiddly?

Simian Man
March 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Why is it that Ubuntu can make it simple, and Suse make it stupidly fiddly?

Maybe because you know how Gnome and Ubuntu work, but don't know how KDE and OpenSUSE work? If OpenSUSE was as uniformly bad as you iagine it is, nobody would use it.

youbuntu
March 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Maybe because you know how Gnome and Ubuntu work, but don't know how KDE and OpenSUSE work? If OpenSUSE was as uniformly bad as you iagine it is, nobody would use it.

Your logic is flawed; look how many people use Win 7...

And yes, yes they would.

cchhrriiss121212
March 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Except that Windows 7 is a pretty good OS.

Back on topic, did you try asking these questions in an OpenSUSE forum? Or using something other than knetworkmanager, wicd for example?

youbuntu
March 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Except that Windows 7 is a pretty good OS.

Back on topic, did you try asking these questions in an OpenSUSE forum? Or using something other than knetworkmanager, wicd for example?

You miss the point. It should work out of the box. No, I am not trying anything else, I am removing it, as I said. That, to me, is a terrible first impression.

FWIW Win 7 is okay(ish). I use it daily, but that wasn't my point - the point is that GNU/Linux is supposed to replace proprietary OS', and the comment didn't hold up.

cchhrriiss121212
March 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Well sometimes software doesn't always work out of the box, the same problem (wireless does not work) has happened to me with various Windows and Linux distros. Personally, I prefer to look up a fix or ask for help rather than bin something at the first hiccup.

the point is that GNU/Linux is supposed to replace proprietary OS'
That is Ubuntu's/Canonical's goal, but I don't think many other Linux distros share that approach.

Simian Man
March 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Your logic is flawed; look how many people use Win 7...

And yes, yes they would.
So you're implying that Windows 7 is a bad OS, and that people would use OpenSUSE even when it was an inferior product for them. Neither of those assertions is true.

the point is that GNU/Linux is supposed to replace proprietary OS', and the comment didn't hold up.

Linux is still hit or miss with wireless hardware, and many chipsets don't work OOTB with any distro. What card do you have? And who says that Linux is supposed to replace proprietary operating systems?

sydbat
March 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Oh the entertainment in these threads...:popcorn:

youbuntu
March 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Forget it guys. Not worth the arguments.

uRock
March 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Thread Closed at the request of the OP.