PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] downloading ubuntu???

mattone
March 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
i have ubuntu 10.4 lucid lts on my hp g64 notebook 64 bit. Im wondering if i can download ubuntu 10.10 strait on my computer without losing everyhting?????

mikewhatever
March 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Sure you can. Download anything you want, it wouldn't affect the existing files.

mattone
March 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
one more question i have been having problems with my sound / speakers / headphones. like they dont work at all, ive had a friend try and fix it but he was in a conundrum with it. so by downloading 10.10 do you think that it might fix it??????i dont know much about all of this, im new into computers.

mörgæs
March 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
If you want to find out, best its a run a live 10.10 first.

Lobby Dosser
March 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
one more question i have been having problems with my sound / speakers / headphones. like they dont work at all, ive had a friend try and fix it but he was in a conundrum with it. so by downloading 10.10 do you think that it might fix it??????i dont know much about all of this, im new into computers.

Sound is a separate matter from upgrading the OS. You should look in the multimedia section of this forum. It has comprehensive trouble shooting guides for sound problems. If you still have sound problems after that then post a question there.

mastablasta
March 18th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Sound is a separate matter from upgrading the OS. .

not necessarily as drivers are part of kernel and also because new Ubuntu 10.10 uses new ALSA (linux sound drivers). So yes 10.10 might solve the problem in this case.

But also you should really check the sound troubleshooting thread as it will help you find out if sound can actually work on your ocmputer or if you have a windows only sound card.