PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] setup startup scripts in /etc/rc.local

cggerry
March 18th, 2011, 06:22 AM
setup startup scripts in /etc/rc.local
I am very new to Ubuntu Linux. I have installed Ubuntu on a Virtual Machine on my laptop. I am trying to follow this project --

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/f...untu-20090116/ (http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/feature-buiding-a-mini-itx-web-content-filter-with-ubuntu-20090116/)

I am stuck on adding the firewall.sh and adding it to the startup scripts in /etc/rc.local. (before Setting Up System Services)

I'm afraid i don't even know where to start on this. Do i add the file to rc.local or add what is in firewall.sh into rc.local? Please note, i don't even know what editor to use.

I tried "update-rc.d firewall.sh defaults", but i get a file not found error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry

renjithforever
March 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
hi,
to call a script at startup all u have to do is to add a line to /etc/rc.local

open any editor...go for gedit..

in terminal ....

$ sudo gedit /etc/rc.localand add the complete path of the script..
eg: /home/YOUR_USERNAME/firewall.sh

pls make sure u have made the script an execuatable..

$ sudo chmod u+x /home/USERNAME/firewall.shnow that u have made the script executable and added it to rc.local..go ahead an reboot ur system..

$ sudo reboot hope that helps :)

PunkLV
March 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Quick question: does it support raw bash script inside? Or how exactly are the lines inside treated?

renjithforever
March 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
when u add a script in rc.local make sure the added script has the bash hash bang..
ie the first line of the script should be

#!/bin/bashelse the bash script may not run as expected..because the rc.local itself is run by dash (#!/bin/sh)..which is not bash...so the script within it will also be run by dash...and may run into trouble if there is bash specific stuff in your script.

PunkLV
March 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Damn. I new I was doing something wrong.
Been using /bin/bash in most of scripts, which run totally fine from terminal/console.

Thank you indeed.

profdreamer
April 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Thank you! Worked perfectly on my Lucid Lynx box.

kenju4u
May 31st, 2012, 08:36 PM
does rc.local also run if i login to XBMC instead of Ubuntu?

oldos2er
May 31st, 2012, 11:22 PM
Closed. Please start a new thread for your question; this one is over a year old.