PDA

View Full Version : Favorite childhood board games... What's your favorite?

vlbrawley
March 18th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hey everyone this is my first poll/post, so I thought about starting with something light hearted and fun that anyone can enjoy. The poll is Whats your favorit childhood board game and if i didnt gt them all and you have something in mind I'd love to hear what it is and why. So here goes and have fun. Please vote. :D

wormyblackburny
March 18th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Life was fun, as well as Sorry

cblnchat
March 18th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Go Monopoly!! But sorry was fun too XD

Khakilang
March 18th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Great to be a millionaire playing monopoly but I do play chess.

racie
March 18th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Oh man! They're all pretty great. The only one I never cared for was Monopoly; it always took WAY too long to even come close to finishing a game. I suppose I'd probably like it better now that I'm older.

fcomstoc
March 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Out of the list in the poll Monopoly is my favourite, My all time favourite game as a child has to be Stratego.

Gerontion
March 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I always enjoyed Monopoly - the possibilities for cheating were irresistible - but I think Risk was my favourite.

standingwave
March 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Risk, the classic game of global domination. Of course, we created our own variations of the rules to make it even more fun.

"You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine..."
"I come from Ukraine. You not say Ukraine weak!"

Spice Weasel
March 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Pacman: The Board Game. ;)

Monopoly was okay too.

By the way, it's Snakes and Ladders.

danbuter
March 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Of those listed, Clue is my favorite.

Whistling Nixie
March 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
By the way, it's Snakes and Ladders.
Depends which part of the world you're in. In the US at least, it's known as Chutes and Ladders.

Swagman
March 18th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Take the Brain (http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2007/04/take-the-brain-we-explore-and-support-the-concept-of-stupid-chess)
Exploration (http://www.vintagetoysgames.co.uk/exploration.html)
Cluedo <--- Everyone knows that one

[Edit] Added links

sydbat
March 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Depends which part of the world you're in. In the US at least, it's known as Chutes and Ladders.Then it must be specific parts of the US. I always thought it was British.

On topic - I always liked Axis & Allies. Risk was also a really good party game. Also, I liked playing chess. Stratego was good too.

@OP - you should add a "Other" choice to your poll.

RiceMonster
March 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Definitely NOT Monopoly. My sister would always add a million of her own ridiculous rules that favored her (ex. "Only I can buy boardwalk", and on top of that, she would cheat, by taking money from the bank.

What WAS fun though, was clue, battleship, sorry, jenga, life, and uno.

Simian Man
March 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
My family is HUGE on board games, and we are all extremely competitive. Games of Risk had at least a 50% chance of ending in a fight - literally. Of those listed, Clue is my favorite, because it was the one I was the best at :). My all-time favorites also include Scattegories and Balderdash.

RiceMonster
March 18th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Balderdash.

Hell yeah, that's a really fun one. I play that with my family when the chance arrives.

rg4w
March 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
We had a lot of fun with many on that list, but my personal favorite was Green Ghost, so eerily tactile.

vlbrawley
March 19th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Oh man! They're all pretty great. The only one I never cared for was Monopoly; it always took WAY too long to even come close to finishing a game. I suppose I'd probably like it better now that I'm older.

Yes Monopoly does take very long and was irritating at times but I still enjoy it every now and again. So which one was your favorite?

vlbrawley
March 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks everyone for commenting and voting I really enjoyed the stories. I noticed a bunch of board games I've never even heard of like: Stratego, Risk, Axis and Allies, Scattgories, Balderdash and Green Ghost. Those all were very interesting names and I was wondering what they're about and how you play them.
Oh and yes Jenga, Battleship and Uno were very fun. :)

thenickrulz
March 19th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Monopoly rocks!:D:P

rg4w
March 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I noticed a bunch of board games I've never even heard of like: Stratego, Risk, Axis and Allies, Scattgories, Balderdash and Green Ghost. Those all were very interesting names and I was wondering what they're about and how you play them.
Board Game Geek is a great resource:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4460/green-ghost

JDShu
March 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM
As a child, my favorite game was Candyland. The art on the board is just so happy :)

vlbrawley
March 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
As a child, my favorite game was Candyland. The art on the board is just so happy :)

I know right they always had bright colorful drawings.

racie
March 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM
In addition to the board game I used to have a PC game called Candyland for Windows 95/98. (Based on the board game of course!) :) Ahhh... good stuff right there.

beercz
March 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM
As a kid I used to play cards a lot - especially cribbage - I wish there was a version for Linux (apart from the BSD Games colleciton) as I still play - and I am now nearly 50!

linuxforartists
March 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Out of the games on that list, I'd say Life was my favorite. The colorful spinner and mountain paths were fun.

Another board game I thought was cool was Power Barons (http://www.gamepile.com/details.php?id=103). It was like Monopoly on steroids. You play as a tycoon trying to control the world's industries and resources.

For further reading, here's an interesting article: 5 classic board games with disturbing origin stories (http://www.cracked.com/article_18995_5-classic-board-games-with-disturbing-origin-stories.html)

vlbrawley
March 26th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Candyland on the computer sounds amazing. As well as Monopoly on steriods (nicly put btw.) and I've never played cribbage but it always looks fun. :)

cblnchat
April 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Risk, the classic game of global domination. Of course, we created our own variations of the rules to make it even more fun.

Lol Risk sounds fun! But ive never heard of it till now!