PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New user; kudos to Ubuntu

j1mw3b
March 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to Ubuntu.
I just installed the 10.04.2 LTS desktop on my IBM Thinkpad T42 and FINALLY hibernation is working.

I use Debian on my desktop and OpenSUSE and Centos at work, Like Debian, so when my T42 disk crashed, decided to try Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) on it.

No end of troubles. Twice failed hibernation ruined my filesystems, and after trying and trying, the whole system started locking up after about 2 minutes after reboot.

Since I still liked Debian, tried Ubuntu and so far, all is well so far.

I think maybe the obsession with open source caused them to drop some drivers and even thought I found them, still failed hibernation.

So thanks again,

Jim

j1mw3b
March 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Well I take it back.
Now when I hibernate, it just does a shutdown.
I see some other threads with similar issue so will look at those.

Also, the first time it did the shutdown instead of hibernate, it came up with absolutely no network interfaces.
I went into /etc/network/interfaces and manually added the eth0 interface but still working on the eth1 wireless internace.

I am seriously considering going back to OpenSuSe again.
I also liked their nice NetworkManager that let me pick and chose my wireless SSID and found them for me.
wifi-radar is not working for me.

I will try a bit more, but it seems that hibernate has been around for eons and linux should have it right by now. Even Windows XP can do it every time.

Thanks,

Jim

Quackers
March 20th, 2011, 03:09 PM
There are so many different hardware setups and so many other variables where hibernation is concerned I gave up in the end and just use suspend. For me hibernation just seems to shut down and on resume I get odd problems. Mine has always been this way.

j1mw3b
March 20th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, there are a lot of posts on a lot of *ix forums.
OpenSuSe worked good for me.

I'm tired of all of this and since I am about to reinstall Ubuntu to see if that fixes this hibernate problem, might as well see if OpenSuSe still works as well as formerly.

Also, in trying to get my wireless to work, installed several network tools and now my wired network stops working after about 5 to 10 mins. Seems something is adding a second default route and so I can't get to my default router and go outsde my network.

thanks,

Jim

Hedgehog1
March 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Yes, there are a lot of posts on a lot of *ix forums.
OpenSuSe worked good for me.

I'm tired of all of this and since I am about to reinstall Ubuntu to see if that fixes this hibernate problem, might as well see if OpenSuSe still works as well as formerly.

Jim

If OpenSuSe works best for you, than that is what you should use. Pick the OS that makes your life better on your hardware.

But thanks for trying Ubuntu!

The Hedge

:KS