PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How do I stop upgrade?

reedk
March 17th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Now, every time I run update manager, it tells me to run a partial upgrade. I can close the window and proceed upgrading packages,but if I let it try the partial upgrade is starts a distribution upgrade !??! I am currently running 11.04.

How can I stop update manager from trying to update my distro version?

user1397
March 17th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Now, every time I run update manager, it tells me to run a partial upgrade. I can close the window and proceed upgrading packages,but if I let it try the partial upgrade is starts a distribution upgrade !??! I am currently running 11.04.

How can I stop update manager from trying to update my distro version?
well since 11.04 is the development release, it is the highest version currently available, so you can't really 'upgrade' into anything else. i would just let it do all the upgrades it asks for, as they're constantly updating 11.04 as they're preparing it for the official release in late April.

btw are you running this as your main OS? that is highly ill advised, as it is very prone to crashing and other issues.

reedk
March 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks ubuntuman. I mis-typed. I am using 10.04 LTS (Lucid). It's been pretty good for me. I have been using ubuntu since 8.04 so I'm pretty comfortable with it; I just don't know how to un-set this behavior.

matt_symes
March 18th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hi

Have a look on the software source->Upgrades page and see what is set there.

Kind regards

reedk
March 18th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I checked and "Release Upgrade" was already set to "Long term support releases only". Good thought, tho.

matt_symes
March 18th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Hi

Post the output of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Maybe you have inconsistencies in your sources

Kind regards

reedk
March 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Props to matt_symes on this one. He suggested posting the output of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
Prior to posting it, I went through a manual comparison myself, starting with a cleanup of all the entries in sources.list.d that I was no longer using. After cleaning it up I re-ran Update Manager. It no longer wants to attempt a distribution upgrade.

My recommendation to anyone having this issue is to start by removing any stale or unneeded repositories from sources.list.d. If you still have a problem then you have a different problem and you should post your sources as described above.