PDA

View Full Version : Gtk+ 3.2 will let you run any application in a browser

mmix
March 17th, 2011, 10:35 PM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/03/17/1739233/Gtk-32-Will-Let-You-Run-Applications-In-a-Browser?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/gtk-32-will-let-you-run-any-application.html

Gtk+ 3.2 will let you run any application in a browser thanks to the new HTML5 gdk backend. That means you'll be able to run GIMP, Gedit, a video editor or whatever, remotely (or on the same computer), using a web browser.

Captain Smiley Pants
March 17th, 2011, 11:13 PM
That actually sounds pretty cool.

dh04000
March 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Sounds cool. How would be this be used though?

Could I have gtk+ 3.2 installed on my netbook(with 4GB of SSD) and use a website hosting these apps instead of installing them on harddrive?

Lucradia
March 18th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Sounds cool. How would be this be used though?

Could I have gtk+ 3.2 installed on my netbook(with 4GB of SSD) and use a website hosting these apps instead of installing them on harddrive?

Putting browsers in browsers?

dh04000
March 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Putting browsers in browsers?

I don't get what your saying/asking.

slackthumbz
March 18th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Yo Dawg, we heard you like to browse, so we put a browser in yo browser so you can browse while you browse!

forrestcupp
March 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'll bet you still won't be able to run a Linux app in a Windows browser. That could be useful.

dh04000
March 18th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I'll bet you still won't be able to run a Linux app in a Windows browser. That could be useful.

Windows has gtk+.

You'd have to run the windows version of the gtk+ app into your browser, I'm sure.

Lucradia
March 18th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Windows has gtk+.

You'd have to run the windows versus of the gtk+ app into your browser, I'm sure.

Windows can run any linux app, as long as you compile first the runtime environment you need. (You then need to compile the app for your environment, as it's not "exactly" the same.)

juancarlospaco
March 18th, 2011, 02:49 AM
A browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser inside a browser *SEGFAULT*

Just a joke, i think its a great feature that other legacy operating systems doesnt have...
:D

forrestcupp
March 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Windows can run any linux app, as long as you compile first the runtime environment you need. (You then need to compile the app for your environment, as it's not "exactly" the same.)

Try doing that with something like Cinelerra. It's not going to happen.

Copper Bezel
March 18th, 2011, 09:21 PM
It sounds like you could shortcut some of the things you might use VNC for. It could be insanely useful for all kinds of cloud computing, I'd think.

matthewbpt
March 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM
What would be amazing is if you could run the entire gnome desktop like this, remotely!

gnomeuser
March 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I have yet to hear a compelling use case for this. I mean it is cool as a proof of concept and such but really, honestly.. isn't it just technological wank?

Lucradia
March 18th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have yet to hear a compelling use case for this. I mean it is cool as a proof of concept and such but really, honestly.. isn't it just technological wank?

Tell that to google, with Chrome OS.

bruce89
March 19th, 2011, 02:33 AM

I'm sure it could. All that GTK+ needs to do is send compressed images over to the browser, it doesn't care what browser you're using and on what OS. Of course, the server would need to be Linux.

At least, I think that's true.

kevin11951
March 19th, 2011, 03:58 AM
This would definitely make "web apps" into very powerful applications!

I wonder if when you hit File > Open, does it open of the computer running the web browser, or the server?

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Server. It wouldn't have access to local resources.

Merk42
March 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Tell that to google, with Chrome OS.
Hi I only use the computer to browse the internet, so I want a cheap laptop (tablet?) to do that.
Hi, I run a coffee shop/airport/etc and we have terminals for web browsing. We'd like a basic OS where people can only do that.

There's two use cases for ChromeOS. What is the use case for apps in your browser? Also why doesn't anyone think this would be horrible from a security standpoint?

Kimm
March 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Also why doesn't anyone think this would be horrible from a security standpoint?

Why would it be any less secure than running any kind of web server?

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, there's no reason the information couldn't be SSH'd like anything else.

But thank you for the use cases, because I'd never been able to understand what ChromeOS was for until now. I can understand it if it's designed for airport kiosks.

koleoptero
March 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Yo Dawg, we heard you like to browse, so we put a browser in yo browser so you can browse while you browse!

Damn, I wanted to say that.

BigCityCat
March 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I have been using jolicloud. Isn't that what this is?

http://www.jolicloud.com/

Lucradia
March 20th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I have been using jolicloud. Isn't that what this is?

http://www.jolicloud.com/

Nope.avi