PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can no longer access folders

dmwdrown
March 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hello I am new to Ubuntu and have been using it for a few months. Recently when I have gone to the Places drop down box and tried to get into any of my folders i get this message:

Could not open location 'file:///home/username'
Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/arista-transcode" (No such file or directory)I have looked through the forum for the past few days and have still not found a solution that works. Any ideas/solutions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. As i am an extremely new user please use small words! :lolflag:

Krytarik
March 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
It seems like you have inadvertedly chosen "arista-transcode" as the default application to handle folders.

Solution: Open the file "~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" and lookup the entry for "inode/directory", it should be like this:

inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
Here is a good explanation of what may have caused it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1675491

Greetings.

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Thank you as soon as i can get into my computer i will give it a try. It installed new updates and will no longer accept my log in password-sigh :\

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Thank you as soon as i can get into my computer i will give it a try. It installed new updates and will no longer accept my log in password-sigh :\
Do you get a "password incorrect" message or simply nothing?
Try to login at the console, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 when you are at GDM's login screen to get to one.

To reset your password follow this guide:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I don't get any message at all it acts like it is going to load, goes to a blank screen and then takes me back to the log in screen. I tried ctrl+alt+f1 and typed in username and password it told me some info on what version of ubuntu i am running gave me the website address for documemtation and then says: username@username-Dell-DM061:~$ and then i dont know what to type after that.
:)

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Please check "~/.xsession-errors" for error messages after trying again to log in:

more ~/.xsession-errors

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
It says: no such file or directory

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM
It says: no such file or directory
Oh, I made a typo, sorry! :P
I corrected the previous post. Please try again.

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
It says:

"/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup..

Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/x11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
.: 34: cant open /home/username/.profile

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Please run those command:

sudo chown USER.USER -R /home/USER

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
It says: chown: invalid user: 'USER.USER'

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hey, you need to replace it with your user name! I thought that was obvious enough. ;-)

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Sorry! I did say I am a total novice at this :) okay so i am assuming everytime you put in user that i am supposed to substitue it with my username...I did that and it asked for my password which I typed in and then nothing.....

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Sorry, I assumed that you'll know what I mean, because I thought you replaced this one. Or is it your real username?

Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/x11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
.: 34: cant open /home/username/.profile

I did that and it asked for my password which I typed in and then nothing.....
The output of those command is indeed nothing, if run correctly.
Did you try to log into your desktop after that!?

dmwdrown
March 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sorry for being such a novice but how do i do that?
i tied typing in sudo login and it asked for my username and password which i typed in and then it just said welcome to ubuntu my last login date and what version is running. I am not sure how to get to the actual startup page from here....
Thank you for all your help and patience :)

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry for being such a novice but how do i do that?

Just reboot. ;-)

dmwdrown
March 20th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Reboot didnt work. Just did the same thing it was doing before.... :(

Krytarik
March 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Do you have an encrypted home directory or something like that?

When you login at the console and do "ls -al", do you see all the contents of your home directory?